Setting up a 220v sub panel

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Berzerker420, Jun 15, 2017.

1. So im converting all my ballast to 220v and need some help with a sub panel. So i have 220v about 20 feet from where i need it. It is a 30 amp 4 wire 220v that was used for a garage heater. I bought a 2 circuit sub panel and can't figure out how to wire the damn thing.

If anyone can help ill post pictures of what i have.

2. im an electrician but have never done exactly what you're talking about. 4 wires... I'm assuming 2 hot wires, a neutral, and a ground.

if that's the case.. it would basically be the same as a standard 100amp sub panel.

attach the sub panel to the desired location .. get a 1/2" connector for the top of the sub panel. run the 10 guage wire into the sub panel ..and from left to right

Left (attach your ground wire)
    2nd from left (terminate your neutral)
    3rd from left (terminate either of the 2 "hot" wires (red or black))
    far right (terminate the remaining hot wire)

make sure your 30 amp breaker is turned off or disconnected in the main panel when you're doing all of this.

so you'll have a 30 amp sub panel.. which means you're not going to be able to put much in it ..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. the sub panel may not look exaclty like this but there will be a "bus bar" for your ground, and a bus bar for your neutral .. and the places to terminate each hot conductor will be in the center.

4. here's a picture of a 200amp main panel with a 60amp sub panel. same concept.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you for the help, but after talking to a electrician friend at work he suggested a fused shut off and wire to the 220v controler from the fused shut off. I really dont need to expand my panel i was just trying to move where it came out of the wall safely. And it was a 40a 220 breaker in the main panel, that should be plenty to run around 2500 watts right?

And thanks for taking the time to help me out.

6. I'm not familiar with a fused shut off but yes the 2500 watts is well under the limit for a 40 amp breaker

7. This is what he suggested.

Square D by Schneider Electric L211N 30 Amp 120/240-Volt Two-Pole Indoor Light Duty Fusible Safety Switch with Neutral

• Like Like x 1
  8. gotcha .. we just call it a disconnect.

9. Im sure he did to, i just forgot....thanks for your help. Im sure ill have more questions when i wire it all up.

• Like Like x 1