Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Serious thoughts and questions on lasting demotivation (no BS)

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Stewhead, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, first off I know im not a regular poster here and everything, but this is something ive been NEEDING to get off my chest and talk over lately. I honestly have no one else to talk to about this in real life without getting the typical bandwagon response (WEED KILLS BRAIN AND MAKE STUPID!), so I thought I would post here.

If you truly dont want to read the backstory, then just skip to the bottom and answer the last two questions

For the last 2 years ive been a seasoned toker. Hitting at least a bowl every day (a bowl at night during the school semesters for sleep, and throughout the entire day over breaks). Im a community college student of 3 years now, meaning this is my 4th year. This is where I usually get odd looks and smiles as if its already explained why im still in community college. However, this is where my first doubt lies. My entire life all ive wanted to do is make my parents happy and to live with them under happy terms. As far as school goes, ive NEVER seen myself going through a certain amount of school to get to a specific job. The way ive always viewed school is getting good enough grades to keep on good terms with my parents because I truly love them, they have given me no reason to hate them, and I rely on their support.

Ive never wanted to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a social worker, or whatever else public school could give me. Hell, it feels like ive never had any motivation towards a specific job, just always told my parents one thing so that it seems like I do while keeping them happy. That one thing is medical. As I stepped into college they suggested pharmacy, and I literally just went with that without any thought as to keep them happy because hey, NOTHING else interests me. First year of college I had above a 3.8 GPA with 12-16 units, even better than I had in high school. After that first year ended, I had my first toke, and it started a long chain of events that has led me to this day and site.

Since then my grades have gotten progressively worse and worse. Now im at the point where I am taking upper level organic chemistry and analytic calculus classes, and my hollow interest in school is beginning to cave. On the outside I act as if everything is fine, im chugging along, living happily with my parents. On the inside im just a hollow shell, with no real goal in sight regarding school.

There is one thing that isnt hollow in me though, my newfound love in electronic music. It happened the same exact summer I started toking. Even more specifically, it hit me when I listened to the deadmau5 song So There I Was while high. Each note vibrantly ringing in my head, each thump of bass chilling my body, taking notice of each key and sound. Since then electronic has been ALL ive listened to, and I can easily spend entire days at a time looking up new songs and more recently mixing them purely out of joy using a free mix program. Ive been attending raves and shows at least once a month. I have done other drugs at these shows, but I dont see myself by any means a "scenester" or whatever you want to call it. Ill know each and every producer/DJ who will be playing that night inside and out, and ill usually be completely prepared as to what they are gonna play too, guiding my friends who we should and shouldnt see based on their tastes. Ive also gone to many shows without being high on anything.

Electronic music has been the closest ive ever felt towards having an actual future. Yes, I do mean becoming an artist. I feel ridiculous when I say it though, because it seems its one of those "you and everyone else in world" kind of wants. But I feel like its different with me, im as close to clinically obsessed with this as I could be, I want it to be my life. After so much research though, it looks like something of extreme risk. Do I risk quitting school? perhaps losing the respect and trust of my parents, to do something that is so competitive now its likely I wont get ANYWHERE?

Now I will bring this full circle back to the demotivation thing. Lately, my parents have been blaming my school struggles to toking and it having a permanent demotivating effect. Thus far ive denied it in my head, thinking its in no way possible. What ive always thought its been is the rising level of difficult classes combined with my hollow interest in school and just attending for my parents.

However, a new question has popped into my head lately that just wont leave me: is my love in electronic music simply because I get high? I mean, yes like I said I go to shows while not under the influence, but did it all start only because I was high? Have these last few years been a parallel reality haze where ive fooled myself into thinking this should be my future, and if I were to stop for a few months, would I out of nowhere realize "OMG I should be getting good grades again!"?

What this all comes down to are these two questions:

Do a lot of people go into a phase after blazing where they think music will be their future just because it sounds that much better and distinct while blazed?

And has anyone quit for an extended period of time and, out of nowhere, become school motivated again towards something they had a hollow interest in before?

Thank you for your guys time, I really do appreciate it.

2. If you really want to do it then go for it! Only one of two things will happen, you will succeed or you will learn from your mistakes. As far as your questions go...

1. Never had thought of myself getting into music at all, high or not. If that's what you want and have a goal for then go for it! You only have one life, live it.

2. I've quit for around 2-3 years before, for a job, and after I finally toked up again I felt amazing. It might be opposite for you seeing as you are the opposite. Only one way to find out, try it!

3. Thank you for the response =D honestly im at a breaking point right now in my life, its either now or never. And I have absolutely ZERO regret for smoking weed, and I never will, especially after what ive tried at raves.

I have such little respect for people who jump on bandwagons against it saying it "destroys brain cells" because they relate it with addictive designer drugs.

4. I've had a phase where I wanted to go into music with a buddy of mine just because music sounded so much more distinct and amazing so your not alone on that one but I also know lots of stoner friends who haven't (probably 95% of them) to my knowledge anyway.

In terms of your brain most of the CBD in weed depresses your dopamine/serotonin levels which are responsible for memory and motivation even when your not under the influence although this only lasts for a few hours to a few days depending on how much you blaze and how good your weed is. Try getting better sativa strains or a vaporizer as to lower your CBD intake you'll probably get higher in the long run too so it's win win.

5. 1. well not realistically but when im high a freestyle altho i know id never do it i guess u could say its there

2. yea in hs i toked everyday and was a slacker 9th and 10th grade 2.4gpa all reg classes then 11th i took AP european history Pre calc honors history honors latin and my gpa went to a 4.1 i still toked but maybe only 3 or 4 times a week and usualy later like before bed and i lost weight and stuff but my intrests werent that altered buy my rountine and hygenie were

6. 1. As a daily tolker and electronic music lover as well, I love making beats on Garageband. I could, and do, do it for hours on end. As much as I love it I know that there is nothing for me in it but that doesnt stop me from having fun. High music is just the best lol, but I've never thought of music as a career(unfortunately theres no way my beats could ever compare to the brilliance of groups like Pretty Lights).
    2. I stopped smoking for about two months at the end of my last semester of high school and saw a very significant change in grades, motivation, and attitude towards school. For my first few weeks tho I was in a very very pissy and short tempered mood. I had zero interest in school before stopping and after i did feel a slight change and it did feel good but i missed getting high very much. This may or may not relate to you but i stopped for the woman i love (and still do :) ) and it made the people important to me happy which felt good in return.

Good luck with whatever you do homie

7. As you said, you're at a breaking point in your life and some of the problems/stress might be contributed to mj. That said, it's probably time for an extended break. Weed will always be there for you to come back if you decide to.

8. I see it as your parents blaming your school progress on toking because they don't know how unmotivated you are. Your parents might be seeing it this way because you we're doing so fine before. Talk to your parents about how medical wasn't something that interested you but made them happy which was why you pursued it but now that you're in college you're starting to find your interests!

Starting a career on music because of weed is not out of the ordinary! There are tons of new artists and producers this day and age that have probably been influence d on their profession because they got high. Try making your own beats and making a name while still in school. If it starts to be serious and it's something you still live than maybe you can take that step and pursing music.

9. 1. I haven't, but I'm sure many do.
    2. I am sure some people experience that, but I am MORE interested in education when I have been smoking. Everyone is different.