Serious question that came to me while i was high...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Blazeman Bud, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I was just watching tv and a guy comes on and he's got a nervous tick and he's randomly swearing a lot because he suffers from Tourette's syndrome.
    Basically what I thought was, if a child is never exposed to and never sees, hears or experiences swearing and swear words, can they still develop the syndrome? And if they do, will their nervous tick include swearing? If it doesn't, and they use other words instead if swearing, then why do regular Tourette's sufferers use swear words as opposed to any other word?
    Maybe these are just the ramblings of a stoner but I just would like to know if anyone has any answers or opinions on the matter.
    Stay high peeps :)

2. Idk I'm too high to think but it would be cool if they only said positive stuff about weed.

3. Yeah I'm pretty faded and I just read the first few sentences. Sorry bud you're idea is turnt down, keep thinking though.

4. Really cool and interesting thought. If never exposed to swear words i don't see how they could possibly use them, they would most likely just resort to any other words they know, maybe if taught that say the word "boat" or something was inappropriate or taboo, they would use that, just because subconsciously they think its wrong. Then again i have no idea how the syndrome works haha.

5. I'm on valium and can't work this ducking site and lol I have to make 10 posts. So greeeetings to all. Post número cuatro

6. Don't worry be happy

7. I think this relates to the question....If a tree falls in the middle of the woods with noone around to hear it. Would it make a sound?

8. ticks dont necessarily mean you curse all the time, theres different types.

i aint a doc but you cant really draw a physical picture with JUST a blank piece of paper

9. Tourette's syndrome doesn't mean you're just gonna randomly blurt out curse words. It can involve facial or body ticks and other verbal words as well.

10. I would hate having Tourettes. When I went camping, the camper next to us resided a guy with Tourettes. The Christian lady that was camping with us that's the devil trying to get out. I was like 6 and it terrified me.

Omega369 :wave:

11. What happy times said^
    It's a misconception that all tourette syndrome does is cause you to blurt out vulgarity.

12. If you got high in the middle of woods, but no one is around to know that you are high, would you still be high?

13. Ok that's fine. But how come the majority of Tourette's sufferers don't blurt out random other words most of the time? It's mostly swear words.

14. I've also heard a similar thing from an old lady that lived in our street. She said that it's the demons fighting the soul to try and possess the body. If you're more spiritually inclined, that's some crazy shit to hear.

15. But in the majority of cases, it is. Curse words, along with random sounds and ticks.

16. Blaze, I worked for while for a guy who had had several strokes. His brain was affected and he could not remember nouns. This severely impacted his ability to communicate. :( However he could (and frequently did) "swear a blue streak" with no difficulty at all! :eek: The area of the brain controlling the use of "swear words" is different than the area controlling normal speech!

Complex phonic tic and disinhibition in Tourette syndrome: case report. Complex phonic tic and disinhibition in T... [Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Granny :wave:

17. Thanks for the article bro. Cleared a few things up for me. I didn't realise the swearing only affected 26% of Tourette's sufferers. And the fact that swearing and normal speech come from 2 different parts of the brain explains a lot. Nice one dude :)

18. She's very smart ;)