Sensory Deprivation?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Kroovy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. So, I heard a little about sensory deprivation the other day while browsing. It sparked my interest, but nothing I was wild about. But, last night I had two lucid dreams; the first since my childhood. The experience was fascinating and mind blowing: being able to control my own universe was utterly sublime.

Now I get to sensory deprivation. As I said, I heard about it the other day and now after having the lucid dreams I did, I'm really interested. I heard of isolation chambers, like the one that Joe Rogan has, but I'm more interested in the method that involves halved ping pong balls, a light, and headphones with static playing. I tried searching the net for info about this but I couldn't really find anything. I searched GC and still got no solid results (except for one person posting a thread about it).

I'd love to try this tonight and I'm wondering if this will work if I have a friend with me. Maybe if we both put in ear plugs and use blind folds. Have them on for like 20 minutes or so and then smoke a bowl. Get nice 'n blazed and then just see if anything works?

Does anyone have experience with this stuff??? Any tips?

~Kroovy

2. Hmm I tried the pingpong balls, it felt more like I was laying in a bed with two uncomfortable sharp things near my eyeballs and loud static noise than sensory deprivation.

3. I've listened to a few of those static "songs" if you will and felt a little strange from them. Just laying in my bed in silence other then the static. I don't really know how to describe it, it was subtle but I definetly did feel a little out of the normal.

- By the way, it wasn't just normal like TV static..found them online somewhere, there were different ones suppose to simulate different drugs.

4. How long did you do it for? I've heard that it can take up to two hours. I've heard a lot of people talk about trying it and it not working, but I haven't ever heard how long they did it for.

From what I heard, it was like 30-45 minutes before you start not seeing the light, not hearing the static, not feeling the bed, etc. Then I mean it's very plausible to imagine that it'd take a while for your mind to get into a state where you could create things. After a while your brain might forget what those senses are like which allows for the intenseness.

I dunno.

5. Where?

6. Yah I tried it for only about half an hour, but never really understood the point of the pingpong balls as I could still see through them even though I covered them in tape, and I could definately see around the edges, so meh, not ideal conditions.

7. I'm not even sure if you'd need ping pong balls and the light. I mean everything your eyes see is going to go away anyways when they get used to it... So I'd think that blindfolds would work better.

8. I'm not sure, was about two years ago and a friends Ipod..I was just searching for it and didn't have much luck. Maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about :confused:

All he said was he stumbled on it somewhere..could have been youtube.

9. #9 norcalblaze, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
    ^^^it was called I-doser and it was a series of binaural beat tracks meant to simluate certain drugs by altering your brain waves

your brain operates on different frequencies ranging from 2-50hz
    the track actually plays two different beats into each ear, these to beats are mis-matched and are, say 10 beats off of each other each second. Your brain hears these two waves as one sound and when they are one it hears a 10hz "beat frequency"

the idea is that by slowing down or speeding up your brainwaves using beat frequencies you can control your mood, or stimulate yourself, or slow your brain down, feeling similar to what stimulants or CNS depressants can do

edit, the disputed part of these is whether or not a beat frequency has any effect on brainwaves, many say it does but I have seen no real evidence myself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beat lots of info here

and my wikipedia journeys have now brought me to the conclution that I must fucking build one of these:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamachine

10. Yea the I-doser is a complete scam IMO, Ive seen a lot of idiot's that actually think theyre getting high on ecstasy and shit when they're just listening to a a static/song. Mind you half these kids have never even tried E before... I tried a few of them, and nothing happened for me.

BTW do not buy them, you can find all of them online for free.

11. I might try this.

12. I tried sensory deprivation last night.

The first time it was with a friend. We used blindfolds and headphones with static. I set a vibrate alarm on my phone for 10 minutes, we smoked a bowl, then waited for 40 minutes. Nothing seemed to happen, but to the method's defense, I don't know if I gave it enough time.

The second time I tried it, after my friend left, I did things a little more disciplined. I laid down on a bed, used headphones and a blindfold, and set one vibrate for 30minutes and one vibrate for an hour.

I didn't experience anything either time.

However, I'm interested in trying to use either the DreamMachine, the link provided which is pretty much just a flashing page, and the static song.

If I come up with anything else, I'll post it!

13. Currently torrenting the whole I-Doser pack.

14. You sit close to the screen and just close your eyes. If you wait, you'll eventually start seeing shapes and colors. It's also supposed to put your brain in the mode that it's transitioning to sleep, but i don't really know how that works.

15. you can do the same thing with more "ptterns" and colors by useing a strobe light in front of your face eyes closed and can change the colors and patterns by changeing the speed of the strobe

i learned this many yrs ago when i had my first eeg

16. If you guys do a search for "dream machine" there's a website where you can play their homemade dream machine in your browser. All it is is a full screen of your choice of colors that flashes. You can change the frequency of the flashes, so they can be super fast or super slow.

It's been a couple months since I started this thread and from my experience, the I-Doser shit didn't work at all. Sensory deprivation, in my opinion, is very hard to do "at home."

To do it properly, you literally can't hear anything different than like one thing over and over. You also can't see anything, so you have to have something good covering your eyes. When I did it, I could hear myself breathing, or I'd cough, or some other bullshit. Any bit of sound throws the hearing portion off. I still plan on experimenting further with it... Just maybe after I get an isolation chamber

17. To be for real with you man the communist Vietnamese used Sensory Deprivation for torture against POWs in the Vietnam war. People were driven litterally insane because of this (it happened over a course of days though) They were kept in a white room that was sound proof and stuff.

You need stimuli in order to keep yourself sane, i'm not sure that doing it would produce a positive alternative consciousness, but if your willing to try I'd love to hear what happens.

18. I did the ping pong balls thing, it just felt like i stared at the sun for a little. Not fun.