sensory deprivation

Discussion in 'General' started by WhiskeyBits, Oct 12, 2012.

1. So, I was going to put this in "religion" but its not necessarily a religious topic, then I was going to put this in "health and fitness" but its not totally about physical health either...so, its going in "general". If it belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it.

Anyway, I've been practicing regular meditation for a few months now and I just had a friend of mine suggest a sensory deprivation tank. The whole idea is a little nervewracking to me but apparently, its supposed to be an incredible experience and supposedly help my focus. So, I've been signed up for two sessions in the next few weeks (she told me that I should have at least two, once to get used to the idea and the second to truly experience the therapeutic effects)

My question is, has anyone tried sensory deprivation therapy? What was your experience like? How did you feel afterwards? Did you feel the cathartic effects after the first session? Would you do it again?

Thanks a ton!

2. im curious about this as well

how much do it cost op?

3. From what I understand, its about $60/hr. But this is CA so its probably less in other areas.

For my two sessions, its $120. The first is a 90min session and the second is a 60min. I got a deal for booking both sessions at once (and I get a punch card so the 6th one is free, lol). Every session also includes an hour for decompression/meditation/journalling/ quiet time on the estate afterwards and time to take showers. So, about $60/3hrs or so.

4. #4 TesseLated, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
    Id love to do it.....Thought it'd be more expensive than that.....

Joe Rogan has quite a bit to say on biofeedback tanks....Check him out

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqmKwsvM58]The Sensory Deprivation Tank - Joe Rogan - YouTube[/ame]

*Pretty good vid even if you dont like Rogan...lol

5. this is extremely interesting... subbed

6. #6 TesseLated, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  7. I've done it numerous times. I have well over 12 years of meditation "experience" under my belt.

Nothing profound happened while in the tank. It is relaxing as all hell though.

What I'm trying to say is: don't go into it expecting it to be like what you hear Joe Rogan claiming. Don't go into it expecting the universe to manifest itself unto you. DO go into it expecting one of the most relaxing experiences of your life, and at least for your first couple of sessions, to fall asleep X-)

8. Indeed^^ Supposedly hes been doing it for quite awhile...he should just get a tank...

I imagine with some extra curriculars on hand you might get more of an experience...for better or worse..lol

9. He does have a tank! He had one custom made for him.

Wish I could afford to do so! I'd sleep in it every night

10. Oz is always floating
    Ever drifting sometimes doting
    Over things that mean the world to
    Dr. John C. Lilly
    In the tank he's grooving
    Ever sifting sometimes smoothing
    Out the things that mean the world to
    Dr. John C. Lilly
    Are you still floating Dr. John C. Lilly?
    Drifting as the time goes by
    Across the inner cosmos he is flying
    His tank is isolating
    In his mind he's elevating
    All the things that mean the world to Dr. John C. Lilly
    Are you still floating Dr. John C. Lilly?

In the liquid he will lie
    Rehearsing for the final act of dying

Oz is ever floating
    Dr. John C. Lilly

Oz Is Always Floating - Oysterhead

11. I'd love to experience this, if you go three times you gotta try it at least once stoned.

12. Im trying really hard to go into it expecting nothing (ie: conversations with god, coming to terms with life, the universe and everything). I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping though. Lol. I don't know what im hoping for. Maybe just a chance to let my mind become accustomed to....nothingness. Something to refer back to in the future when I need a little peace. Does that make sense?

I have 5 days to sorta talk myself down and focus on going in with an open mind so im hoping to focus my energy on that this week.

Thank you for all of the referrals to Joe Rogan. I don't think I could go into a meditation session under the influence though. My mind doesn't respond well to being high while trying to reach a meditative state. I lose focus and have a very difficult time getting it back.

Im amazed by people who can do that and would love to have one of those experiences but I just don't feel like its for me.

I will watch the videos though when I get a chance. I've already read a few of his blog posts on the topic and love his writing.