Senate OKs bailout bill 74-25

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ms.NatureFaerie, Oct 2, 2008.

1. #21 IGOTJOINTS4YA, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
    one of my dickweeds voted yes, after there websites crashed from so many people telling them to vote no. The other is a good dickweed for now.

I live in Florida.

2. I think the big difference between the senate and congress on this issue, isn't so much based on the contents of the bailout, but rather that congress is up for election in a few weeks, and the senate isn't.

Congressmen can read the writing on the wall, this bailoutbill is hugely unpopular and might just cost them their cozy seat if they support it. Voters might have bad memories at election day, but not that bad.

What boggles me though, is how both McCain and Obama supports this bill. Both are to a degree populists, the first of them going out publicly against this robbery of the taxpayers, would lock in the election. It's the number one issue, and just about every voter is against pouring more money on reckless wall street fumblers. I'm amazed neither candidate sees this and jumps at the opportunity.

3. Zylark, I may disagree with you on alot of things, but this is definetly something we can agree on, none of the canidate know what to do with the economy.

4. except ron paul ;)

5. Yea there is a guy who we could probably trust in, fuckin a, we are stuck with obama and mccain.

6. [​IMG]

They will do it too!:eek:

7. #27 EbencoyE, Oct 2, 2008
    You guys need to learn something about the economy.

we're SUPPOSED to spend in times like this. it's the best thing. it may or may not fix it, but it's better than doing nothing.

The senate didn't listen to the American people because the American people have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

the only reason the house didn't vote it through is because they were worried about votes come election time. at least the senate actually did their job

8. Most of us might not kno what is going on in its entirety, and many dont kno at all, but i think the reason we dont kno anything is because the senate never listens, for years and years and years they got by saying they listen, then doin otherwise. so i think people lost more and more interest as they found kno matter how much they cared the senate ignores them and do nothing. of course also because the people dont care enough to revolt, but fuck man the senate doesnt not listen because we arent well informed, but because they dont have to listen, and instead go with personal interests.

9. #29 fasteddie, Oct 2, 2008
    One reason many are upset is that congress is doing all of this with scare tactics and the bailout they have proposed without even talking to economists or holding public hearings does not address many concerns. It looks even worse when a bill is filled with a bunch of unrelated pork to mask the the glaring problems. The senate did its job alright, they made sure their investors and partners will still have money to throw at them.

Some Americans have a better clue than you give them credit for. Action needs to be taken but rushing on an issue this large is just as bad if not worse than taking no action at all. The people don't feel represented by their government and they ARE the majority! When the elite feel they are right and the common man is told his opinion doesn't matter you end up with events like the french revolution.

to quote you again...
    "The senate didn't listen to the American people because the American people have no fucking clue what they're talking about."

Wow, what country do you think this is? To me its America and last I heard it is supposed to be a country by the people. For the people.

10. well, it still has to pass to house again. keep faxing them today,

and
    http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=892#.

11. WRONG!!!!

We've fixed prices for far too long, they are over-inflated. We need to let prices fall and liquidate bad debt. Cleanse the system so we can get back to reality.

12. It's amazing to see some of you cannot see the forest for the trees. This bill is nothing more than a stick-up of the American taxpayers; that means YOU.

And it's been well scripted, even the rejection of it. Hard to think that actually helped the ruling class make their case. Why exactly is it okay to bail out financial firms heavily steeped in the world's largest capitalist markets? What concept of free market does this government suddenly not agree with anymore? After all, this is the era of easy money and deregulation. Which will progress further with the SEC's ability to suspend market to market. With King Paulson's ability to do whatever he wants with nearly a trillion dollars of YOUR money; not subject to review by court of law or congressional oversight. With a get out of jail free card to all of Wall Street who created this mess in the first place. Great way to send home the message that doing the wrong thing is wrong!

Brought to you by your elected officials in the Congress of the United States of America. :hello:

Beyond that, it is a congressionally approved redistribution and concentration of wealth amongst a handful of individuals lucky enough to have a federal government in their back pocket.

The decision to save AIG but let Merill Lynch fall? Paulson's decision. Which he made with the CEO of Goldman Sachs in the room. Because Goldman's exposure to an AIG collapse would've been in the ball park of 20-25 billion, depending who you ask. Yet less than three months ago Goldman Sachs claimed they had, and I quote, "zero exposure" to the toxic liabilities rolling around Wall Street. I'm no mathematician but "zero" is not exactly "20-25 billion".

Oh, I know, I know. This bill is "urgent." It must be done "or else." Yeah, funny. I remember hearing that about the PATRIOT Act, the Iraq war, the suspension of habeas corpus, secret prisons, state sanctioned torture, the dismantling of the Fourth amendment, broad expansion's of federal powers at the expense of state & individuals ... all of it urgent, all of it needed to be done to "help" us, the American citizens. All of it is urgent so as to ensure our "safety" and "way of life".

Yeah, I know.

So glad we still trust the same leaders who've been fucking us for the last eight years. That really takes some skill to pull off..