Semi-new grower. A few CFL questions.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Rick540, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Current setup: 2'W x 4'L x 5'H closet space. Lighting is with 4 foot shop lights. I have five of them for a total of 400 watts. All the lights are overhead. Years ago I had a similar setup with seven shop lights in a 2'W x 5'L closet with good results. It kept me with great smoke between harvests. Let's put it that way.

I'm thinking about putting in some CFL's. My concern is about how much heat they generate. I've never used them to grow or even in my house so I know nothing about them. I'd like to cram at least four 100W CFL's in there if possible for lighting at the bottoms. In my setup a long time ago I had five shop lights overhead like I do now, but I had another shop light on either side of the closet for side lighting and it really helped.

Do you guys think that 100W CFL's are too hot to be in that close proximity to plants? If not, how large of a bulb could I get by with? Also, is a reflector a requirement when using CFL's? My space is small and the walls are lined with reflective emergency blankets so if I can get by without big ass reflectors that would help.

Thanks in advance.

2. I purchased 6 x 65 watt 6500 kelvins and 4 x OZONE air purifying 28 watt 2700 kelvins. Four days later the company where I bought them told me they wouldn't ship to my location. It was actually a blessing as I found 1 x 200 watt 6500 and 1 x 200 watt 2700 and, it actually cost me less.

From what I have read is cfl's put off a low amount of heat. I have even read about people even having humidity problems because their cfl's were not putting of enough heat to take the extra moisture out of the air. I've also read that CFL's are second only to LEDs when it comes to staying cool.