selfishness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PISSDRUNKhuh?, Jul 5, 2009.

1. I'm sure this thread has been here many times before but i figured id take the time to express it in my own words
    (IMO) selfishness is the act of doing something for personal gain, yet someone calling you selfish can also be selfish
    ex. a conversation between a brother and a sister
    brother: get out of the bathroom its been well over a half hour!
    sister: i got here first so i can take my time
    brother: other people need to use it too, you are being selfish

now when the brother says that the sister is being selfish, isn't he being selfish at the same time...?(trying to obtain his personal needs)
    so by saying: that everyone is selfish, just the strength of the selfishness differs. could i be correct?
    does anyone feel the same way...?

2. I think, to a certain degree, you're right - but if the brother needs to drop a fat deuce, I don't think he'd be exhibiting "selfish" behavior at that point. If he wants to go in there just so sister isn't using the bathroom, then it's a little different...

plus, why can't brother go outside and use the bathroom? :confused:

3. I have a t-shirt that says "Ayn Rand is a cunt"

4. Selfishness is how the strongest animals get the most food, the best mates to fuck, and whatever else they need/want. Selfishness is how every organism on earth survives over the ones who die. As humans though we sometimes mask selfishness as charity, giving things away so WE can feel good about doing it.

5. Exactly! This is the virtue of selfishness, which is what Rand talks about in her writings. I can't believe anyone could disagree with the above statement.

6. If everybody knew what was best for themselves there would be nothing wrong with being selfish. For example, helping others is in your own best interest because it improves society, as the recipient will pay it forward... plus it feels good to help others.

Or you could be selfish and share because you know it will pay off for you in the end if everybody shares.

The egoist's utopia :smoking:

7. You're right, but selfishness is never wrong. It is the things people are selfish for, their values. Their values need to change. There is never anything wrong with being selfish, you can't not be!