Self Watering Containers

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by FunTimeGrowHap, Jul 14, 2012.

1. That would have been really good in my kiddie swimming pool years! I had a 4ft round pool that I planted into. Harvesting only consisted of clipping the plant off, and the roots decomposed back into the soil. I used to pocket stuff into the earth, in places the plants could find it. Watering it all was a chore, would love to do it with a soaker hose...hmmmmm

2. I use these exact same pots and my plants LOVE them. But I don't water via the bottom. I water normally from the top and the bottom tray allows for excellent drainage.

3. Whats up guys, SIP's are starting to win me over but I just don't like the idea of plastic. I think we should all get really stoned and think of a good wick/auto smart pot, just for the amount of air that can reach that root zone.

I just rain a batch using Nylon rope, 5 pieces coiled in the soil as I filled the pot that dangled into a 5gal res. And honestly it was a pain in the ass, so I'm back at the drawing board.

Jerry is 55gal of soil enough? hah I think thats my next try for SIP's, 5gal just isn't enough.

I found this book at my library not to long ago and it's what made me make my first 5gal. He has at least 5 different examples ranging in size, he uses a lot of PVC to make the connection between soil and water, good stuff.

The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible: How to Grow a Bounty of Food in Pots, Tubs, and Other Containers

4. I like the idea of the rubbermaid self watering containers but I would like to see one made from a barrel. I like deeper pots instead of wider ones.

5. Its almost limitless what you can make those things out of.

6. Im definitely in on these. The results that you see on Eddro's grow journal prove their validity. However, some things will have to change.What about Teas? If you have an SIP hooked up to a resevoir feeding the bottoms of the plants, could you use ACT and botanicals still? Would your lines get too nasty? No top watering at all? There is a sheet of plastic over the surface of the pot. How does that effect the soil life? Also, the guys that did it on here set up their fertilizing real funny. The did soil in the bottom, then a layer of lime in the middle, then more soil, Then a ring of fertilizer on the top of the soil. Why cant I just mix all that shit together and put it in the bucket?

7. You don't have to have the cover over the top, but it benefits it because it doesn't allow water to evaporate and keeps bugs/weeds etc out, you can still do teas but you have to strain them, or top water still by not using a lid. A lot of dudes don't even use the covers on them, so they can do some top watering still. Pretty sure it benefits the soil life because it never goes anaerobic, because water goes in and air replaces it right away thru the holes. I am with you however on the fertilizer deal, it is my opinion (lol) that all that layering is not necessary for all the fertilizer amendments, I would do it like this nitrogen and soluble ferts on top cause they do run down, then mix the other amendments the regular way that "stay put" in the soil also there is no run off so you can probably get away with using less than average amounts.

8. I have used the earthboxes for tomatoes and cucumbers and nothing I have tried besides those even compare. They come with the nutrients and two tarps which are very important. The directions have you layer the types of nutes and then place your seeds and once they sprout, you cut a slit in the tarps for the plant to grow through. I believe the tarps are to get the water to rise and nutes towards the plants. But one day I through some bag seed in there for shits and giggles. However, in 3 weeks time, I had an 18" plant with HUGE fan leaves. It was almost comical but then again I had no experience in growing mjane. However at about 3 ft tall I transplanted it and then 3 weeks later I had the gr8 idea to finish it in my florida attic in the middle of summer. Well, you can guess what happened to it. YEP!The house smoked it!

9. [quote name='"SoooHaggard"']Whats up guys, SIP's are starting to win me over but I just don't like the idea of plastic. I think we should all get really stoned and think of a good wick/auto smart pot, just for the amount of air that can reach that root zone.

I just rain a batch using Nylon rope, 5 pieces coiled in the soil as I filled the pot that dangled into a 5gal res. And honestly it was a pain in the ass, so I'm back at the drawing board.

Jerry is 55gal of soil enough? hah I think thats my next try for SIP's, 5gal just isn't enough.

I found this book at my library not to long ago and it's what made me make my first 5gal. He has at least 5 different examples ranging in size, he uses a lot of PVC to make the connection between soil and water, good stuff.

The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible: How to Grow a Bounty of Food in Pots, Tubs, and Other Containers[/quote]

I recently read somewhere that smart pots are made from a type of plastic. When you think about it, synthetic fabrics aren't really any better. Other than for drainage and airflow.

10. Personally I put drainage and airflow high up on my priorities list, that's my reason for using Smart Pots. I have used equal sized standard black plastic pots with less than impressive results.

I wonder if drilling holes in both 5 gals and inserting kind of a Smart Pot liner would be the best of both worlds. I might give that a go, but I still would top water with teas and plain h20 from time to time.

11. Smart Pots are made from a type of plastic, recycled soda, water, food containers, etc.

Sam

12. :wave:
    It's a stock tank valve and you can get one from 8 to 15 bucks at the Tractor Supply. Attach hose and every time the water sinks below a certain point the valve opens til the float shuts it off. :smoke:

13. :wave:Hey Irie
    That's what I did and it works fine. Just do it the way you want to. I throw tea on mine if I think it needs it (I have 2 10 gal sip's w/5 gal res)
    Also the feed line could be anywhere because it doesn't go to the plants it goes to the res bucket. the plant has a constant draw on the bucket through a wicking system. his method eliminates the need for the tube to put water into the reservoir bucket like I have. I also do not believe the nutes will come from the reservoir because each individual will need supplements catered to the individual plants needs. You will not give one added N if it doesn't need it and that would be the case if you added nutes through the res. However I could see adding tea.:D
    As to how it works I can explain a problem I had and the results of a change in function.
    I f'd up one res bucket and used a plastic bag to fix it so all the water went out when the tube broke through the bags. so . That plant is lagging though she never got dry and the other plant is 3 x bigger and they were twins in every way when they went into the sips. I fixed the pot and I plan to update Tuesday or Wednesday if you want to check my thread then.
    So perhaps the layering has to do with a constant draw on the feed:confused:? not sure because mine is mixed, I used what I had. I top dressed w/worm castings too w/a few worms for good measure;).
    I threw a bit of alfalfa tea on them a few days ago, that crap stinks. :eek: That's the last of that for a good long while.:p

Everyone does what they do and there is no exact way except what you want to do, what you can afford to do, what makes sense to do and what you like to do. :laughing: Just try it on one plant and continue as you were.
    :D no need to shake up a good thing unless you know it will improve upon what you already do.:smoke:
    :smoke: :D But you know you gotta try it cause its different and does it work??? I think it is for the experienced and patient types because the plants don't really need you. newbs like to hover I have found and that won't do with this I think. Give one a go, I've got 2:p:D
    :smoke:

14. awesome thread!!! i am totally going to try this out ill be making some custom buckets for sure! i like to go on 3 day hikes and travel now i know how i can and not worry!!! and i would think a worm or 2 in that bucket would love the constant moisture :) :smoke:

15. Damn, do you think one of these would work?
    Mainly because I'm a cheap bastard.

16. IDK. That is above my SIP pay grade. The results I've personally seen up close in 5g buckets.... I can't imagine what might happen with a larger SIP and I don't imagine "good things" necessarily. Bigger isn't always better.

As for a no-till bed, a large one of those might work spot on! IDK. Sometimes ya just gotta grow to know mango! Right now I've got a 2.5' tall plant throwing branches out like a real purdee gal should and she's only in a 2qt container. LOL.... it's all relative I reckon! If she was in a simple 10g container I'm confident I wouldn't be able to manage it.

Oh, and as for the 5g SIP'er concept, the last ones I saw were 6' tall and growing fast to the ceiling with 30 days remaining and each very heavily laden with drooping budZ branches! I think it's what one makes it :)

17. Just transplanted my Pineapple mum into my first SIP I made last year, two days after transplant shes reaching for the heavens. Not bad for only 60watts of CFL haha

I am going to try and insert one of my remaining Smart Pots into a SIP bucket, and drill holes covering the entire top bucket. Figured I could get the best of both worlds, auto prune and SIP!

18. could you drop a (for example) 3 gallon smart pot straight in a 5 gallon. fill water about 4 inches. smart pot/sip/hempy bucket? best of all worlds? autoprune sip and no rigging, just drop that shit in the bucket....

just a thought..

19. I've been thinking the same thing,
    You need a way for the water to wick up as the level goes down. Other than that, I am thinking on it too. I'm thinking towels (I have a bunch) but they cannot hang over the rim because it will drip and drain the reservoir. If I figure something out I'll let ya know.:D

20. 5gal SIP with a 5gal Smart Pot, hole cut into the Smart Pot so the "Wick" of the SIP can work as normal. Just drill some extra holes for air and I will bubble my water. I am jumping in balls deep, just picked up 20 free 5gals from my local Dunkin Donuts!