Self medicating with energy drinks for depression

Discussion in 'General' started by LisaBot, May 26, 2012.

1. For some reason energy drinks help make me "normal" and not some sad sulking depressed person.

Lately I've been drinking 2 a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon for when I crash. It makes me talkative and able to laugh at stuff, which lately hasn't been easy.

I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm wondering if anyone going through depression notices the same thing

2. Why not do it?

Probably better for you than happy pills.

3. I do the same thing with coffee (because at least I know what's in coffee, unlike energy drinks) sometimes. I mean, if it's a short-term fix, do what you have to until your mood bounces back.

But if this is a longer-term problem, if things just aren't getting better, you've got to be proactive and do something about it. I mean, you'll feel better guaranteed if you start working out regularly, no prescriptions required. Even just start walking around your neighborhood, you know? Relying on energy drinks is just a band-aid, but that might be all you need right now.

4. You're hurting yourself long term. Caffeine withdrawal destroys your energy levels.

5. Energy drinks don't rely solely upon caffeine to give you a boost. Try reading the labels.

6. [quote name='"Freakish"']

You're hurting yourself long term. Caffeine withdrawal destroys your energy levels.[/quote]

To the blade who said that they don't only work with caffeine, you're right but it's still not "awesome" for your body.
    You put your body through a bit of stress by drinking so much energy drinks, but I get it since I'm the kind of person who drinks coffee to perk up.
    However, once I kicked the habit... And my body was naturally feeling bouncy and chipper. I would have kept going but I pulled one all nighter and bam! Back on the barista brew.

7. well they prob make you feel better because you are up and moving. your body releases endorphins when ur active and get ur blood circulating. i noticed when i just sit around i get depressed, energy drinks get me zoomin and i just feel overall better.

8. I definitely can say that I tend to get them when stressed or upset.

I was having 1-2 a day, like you, up until a couple months ago. One day I added up the sugar in the energy drinks and a little bit of candy that I had, and in that day I consumed 3/4 of a pound of sugar.

After that I stopped and I've only had a couple of them since. I already feel healthier; my constant heartburn is much rarer and less intense now.

9. Try a few vitamins, or even just a quality 'daily multivitamin', at least a few times each week right after a small meal.. you'll start feeling much better, happier, and you'll have TONS more energy to boot, lasting throughout the day and with fewer crashes. That's a bit healthier than energy drinks as far as supplements go, when you don't have the money/resources to eat healthy as often as you should. :)

For mood elevation and energy, focus on your B, C & D vitamins, and your omega intake ratios (primarily, try to bump up your omega-3 intake).

After all, energy drinks in the best of circumstances, are nothing more than over-priced, low-grade supplements, diluted with sugar water or artificial sweeteners. :eek:

Most everything they contain can usually be found in higher quality, and in higher quantity, at most grocery stores in the supplement aisle. Why get just a single drink, or a four pack, at almost the same price you could buy a 90 day supply of all the same (and better) additives? :D

That being said, some energy drinks are pretty tasty :p

10. energry drinks are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad for you =P

11. [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']Try a few vitamins, or even just a quality 'daily multivitamin', at least a few times each week right after a small meal.. you'll start feeling much better, happier, and you'll have TONS more energy to boot, lasting throughout the day and with fewer crashes. That's a bit healthier than energy drinks as far as supplements go, when you don't have the money/resources to eat healthy as often as you should. :)

For mood elevation and energy, focus on your B, C & D vitamins, and your omega intake ratios (primarily, try to bump up your omega-3 intake).

After all, energy drinks in the best of circumstances, are nothing more than over-priced, low-grade supplements, diluted with sugar water or artificial sweeteners. :eek:

Most everything they contain can usually be found in higher quality, and in higher quantity, at most grocery stores in the supplement aisle. Why get just a single drink, or a four pack, at almost the same price you could buy a 90 day supply of all the same (and better) additives? :D

That being said, some energy drinks are pretty tasty :p[/quote]

Solid points!!!!

I take a multivitamin (not sure if quality) and omega 3s every single morning

They have helped a bit definitely

12. i just drink a fuckton of coffee and tea.
    wouldn't say it helps with depression...i smoke weed for that.

13. That is something that might help short term, but not in the long term. Sounds like your diet needs a complete overhaul, check out a raw food diet or the 80-10-10.

14. [quote name='"LisaBot"']

Solid points!!!!

I take a multivitamin (not sure if quality) and omega 3s every single morning

They have helped a bit definitely[/quote]

Or try taking 5htp! It's an amazing vitamin!

15. 5-htp is where it's at folks. 5-htp is a OTC supplement that boosts your seretonin levels in your body which directly affects your mood. the more serotonin in your body, the happier, more stable peace of mind feeling you'll experience.

Various antidepressant prescriptions offer some sort of serotonin elements.

**IT'S ALL ABOUT YOUR SEROTONIN LEVELS***

Also, whether you're old, young, in shape or not, everyone here SHOULD be taking omega-3 daily. EPA/DHA omega-3 about 1000mg-1500mg in total with a meal. There's a gazillion benefits you get from taking fish oil.

16. Energy drinks make me feel like shit, mentally and physically.

17. Caffeine is good for your arteries, and blood.

18. It's the caffeine, it does the same to me

edit: but so do other unmentionables too ;)

19. theres a much better drink for depression. its called liquor.

20. [quote name='"RExx"']theres a much better drink for depression. its called liquor.[/quote]

For some reason drinking never stuck much with me. Smoking weed is just so much better. No hangovers, no sickness