Self Ejecting Seedlings.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by golfalittle, May 22, 2013.

1. I germinated seeds using a seedling mat.  I then transplanted the seedling and its four inch pot full of seedling soil mix into high grade potting soil.........two days later after a rain, the seedling (all two inches of root) was laying on the surface of the soil with no outside animal influence.  Has anyone ever had this happen?  I have had this happened several times and am baffled by it.

Attached Files:

2. #2 walterbishop, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
    I'd say it's likely that the rain water caused the top soil to float, and up rooted your seedling.

3. Yea it's definitely just watering from the rain, it'll make the seedlings float if there is too much. 

4. Ensure you have enough drainage holes, go for drain holes that are at least 25 - 33% the size of the pot circumference 

5. Ouch that one looks dead.. If your starting seeds outside, and weather is an issue or if they are just really really small, use a 2-3 litre bottle with the bottom cut off and put it over your seedling, remove the cap also.