Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Self discipline

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by JimJimmond, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Hey all, don’t really know where to post this, so I hope here is ok.

How do you all self discipline when it comes to mj usage?

Basically, if I have stuff, I want to smoke. I can easily not buy it or not have it just fine, but when I do have it (I limit to two buys max per month, usually a q total) it’s always on my mind. I wake up- I want to smoke, I come home from work, I want to smoke etc. I know it should be as simple as “just don’t smoke” but it doesn’t seem that easy to me. It’s almost like I can’t stop myself, if I have stuff to smoke and the opportunity to do so is there- I do.

In turn, I’ll end up going through an 8 in roughly 3-5 days.

Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone have tips, advise, tough love,
    anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Any advice on becoming mentally strong / overcoming a weak mind?

3. Good question.

4. I smoke a Q every 2 weeks because moneys tight atm when i was working I'd get paid & buy a Q/half oz depending on how much money i made, most months I'd go though 2ozs minimum, i worked nights so i'd much smoke whenever i wasn't sleeping lol

5. Money being tight I can see. That’s actually one of the biggest reasons I cut to only buying twice a month- to stay within a certain budget. Now, I just need to learn to make what I do get, last longer. I.e. not going through it so quickly when I get it.

6. Helps if you do gravity bongs if you're trying to not go through as much weed I've been smoking nearly 10 years now & a 0.2 bowl still gets me panned if i use a gravity bong

7. Find something that'll eat up some of this free time and that will motivate you to not smoke. For me, it comes naturally in the form of my job. Because of the nature of my job, I can't smell like it at all or it raises red flags so I tend to stick to weekends/off days/special occasions. For you, I would look into working out a few times a week a few hours each session. Look into fitness in general and establish a regimen for eating and getting fit. Between reading, researching, making meals and working out, you will eat up a lot of that free time that you would use to smoke instead. Now, when you wake up you'll reach for a protein shake instead. It will help keep your smoking down each week imo. Also, if you are athletic, there should be some opportunities in your area for joining some softball and/or basketball teams or just going to your local gym and playing some pick-up games. Basically, you just need some things to do to slow down that urge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I've got a hard time not getting high when I have weed laying around. My buddy left me a pound for selling once and I sold some of it. 2 grams. Smoked the rest within a week. If I'm too broke for weed I can live without it . I don't sleep the first night but apart from that I'm fine.
    I'm on a little break at the moment as a tribute to the mushroom spirit

9. You let nothing control you, learn how to block out pain. It is mind over matter, you don't mind, it don't matter

10. im so bad at that

11. Start using your cannabis as a reward rather than a guarantee if you have issues with conserving. When I was younger and in college and couldn't afford to just smoke how I wanted to I would make little deals with myself. K so after I get home from work today, I gotta write at least 2 pages of that paper that is due Friday. After that need to get laundry done, once I get all that done, I get to smoke. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Completely agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Thank you for all the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. I think one of the biggest issues I have is using it to de stress, but to an extreme.. basically a coping mechanism. A lot of bs going on, and has been for years (not that others don’t have it worse). Won’t get into details, because honestly it just doesn’t really matter. Smoking helps me not worry and focus so much on issues at hand, and keeps my anxiety to a minimum, but I know I need to find other ways to deal with stress and anxiety. Otherwise, my consumption just wont get any better. I’m trying to cut way back, and only smoke on REALLY bad days if I have any to smoke, and only for fun occasionally. Until I get my head on straight and learn to deal with my issues on my own, I think that’s the best route.

Today was definitely one of those super shitty days with work, on top of home life stuff, and I wasn’t able to get anything, but the good news is I’m not going nuts without. Just bumming and anxious. Tomorrow is always another day though.

14. Self-discipline means doing what you committed to do regardless of how you feel. This is a big deal because a lot of people can be counted on to do the great things in life if they feel like it.
    Oftentimes, when you wake up, it's as if you want to go straight back to bed. Sometimes, you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or you have a bad hair day.

How Do You Build Discipline?

The best way to build self-discipline regardless of where you come from, regardless of your experience, regardless of your expectations is to adopt a three-pronged approach. These are based on three fundamental facts. If you approach building discipline from these three avenues, you increase your likelihood of success.
    You have to adopt all three. You can't just cherry pick or treat this like some sort of cafeteria. You pick a couple and then you leave the rest behind. That' won't work. You have to adopt all three. That's part of building discipline.

Fundamental Fact #1: Discipline is Like a Muscle
    Just like building muscles, discipline needs to be challenged. You need to put a lot of pressure on it. You need to put yourself in situations where you need to exercise it.

Fundamental Fact #2: Discipline Requires Willpower
    Willpower is like a block of ice that's given to you.When you work to make sure that you have an adequate starting supply of willpower, and you commit to using it efficiently to maximize discipline, you get optimal results.

Fundamental Fact #3: Mindfulness Helps You Boost Discipline
    If you adopt some sort of mindfulness or meditation practice, you can train your mind to work in such a way that you are able to become more disciplined.

'Self-discipline. Get yourslef motivated and learn how to achieve your goals.' by Maxine Hay

All the best