Selective Service and The Draft

Discussion in 'General' started by Rasta_Man, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey folks

I\'m not trying to stir up a debate or anything, but I was reading about this on wiki (have nothing better to do)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

And apparently, this is still around today, AND if you don\'t sign up for it you could serve jail time.

I dunno... I\'m kinda conflicted...

Is this like a regular thing? Or is that really rare?

Remember that I\'m a canadian though, so sorry if I\'m asking a really obvious question.

Has anybody got one of these and tried to fight it? It seems almost like jury duty; something you just throw in the trash can.

2. Yeah its fucked up imo, but I\'ve HEARD that if you\'re a full-time student they can\'t draft you..I may be wrong though..

3. Why would they even do it if they have a draft?

4. I vaguely remember signing up when I turned 18. Wow, actually I had completely forgotten about it til now.

I\'ve never fought it, I just signed up. But, hell, if there is a draft...

Should I stay or should I go now?

5. in the us when you turn 18 you sign up its mandatory.
    It only means that your telling the gov that your 18, and available, if they want to have a draft. just puts you on record

6. All I know is that I had to sign up in order to get student loans for college

7. I just had something sent to me once I turned 18 saying that I was registered. Thats was in 2003.

Pretty odd. Didn\'t have to do anything.

8. I remember when I turned 18. I had a free Mach 3 razor sent to me from the Gillette company.

How did they know I was 18? Weird.

9. ^^^
    hahahahahaha

yea man, same here.

Infact, I still use it- I\'m cheap (and its a damn good razor).

10. I still use the handle. Its all worn and tattered, but I do change the blades. :)

Even my girl got one when she turned 18. They must keep tabs...

11. Thats why the blades are so expensive, cause everyone and their mother gets a free handle and 1 blade.

(sorry rasta_man- don\'t mean to sidetrack this)

12. For my money it\'s all about the Norelco electric shaver

13. Ok, we need to get this thread back on topic, before its closed.

Sorry, Rasta.

Didn\'t mean to hi-jack it.

14. Yessir, when you turn 18 you get a form in the mail registering you for the draft. I don\'t see another draft coming soon though, many are still recovering from Vietnam.

15. I registered when I turned 18. Even went down and took the ASVAB, but that
    was just out of curiosity. Never went back, but the friend I went and took the
    test with heard from the recruiter that I got an 88. Not bad but my dad got a
    99 out of a possible 99. The major reason I didn\'t join is I\'m a section 8. I
    wouldn\'t survive Boot Camp, let alone survive in a war zone. That and I\'m a
    pacifist.

16. what I know is that if you register to vote you must also register for the draft.

17. I dont belive thats true.

18. Untrue. By law when you turn 18 you must register for the draft. Registering to vote is completely up to you.

I almost got screwed by this crap. I received a letter in the mail about 6 months after I had turned 18, saying that there could be a warrant for my arrest if I didn\'t register for Selective Services. Luckily, I saved my registration card and called them back and got the situation worked out. I swear the goverment sometimes...

Yeah its true, they can draft you when they need to, but there are certain execptions(sp?) to it as well. I myself am 100% flat footed and from what I\'ve heard you can\'t be drafted(maybe a rumor?). I don\'t think they\'ll draft me due to my brain surgery, but I\'m not big on wars anyway so....

19. Its more or less common knowledge amongst males in the US that you have to sign up for the selective service when you turn 18. I did it online and it took 2 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.