Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Seeking Guidance...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Pinky, Jul 31, 2009.

1. #1 Pinky, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
    Salutations.

My name is Tonya. I know none of you know me, as I have been a long time member, with no postings. I consider myself a "Seasoned toker" as I have been pretty much an "all day every day" style smoker for about 8 years now. But I am not your typical "burn out" as I don't appear stoned and I can maintain my speech and keep from drawing out things too long. I lose limited amounts of my intelligence when i am stoned and can function in any work environmental. (i even hold two jobs). I love and appreciate all aspects of the herb. I am an active supporter & participant in peacful protest. I once was a dark & brooding person who hated all that was in existance, especially myself. But now I am a happy, peace loving, passionate person, and I believe that it was through Mariijuana that I was able to find this side of myself & embrace it.

Now, I tell you this about myself, to lead to another story (Please forgive me for my first post being such a long one, but I am deeply troubled)

3 years ago, april of 2006, standing on the out door stage of the Masquerade in atlanta, Ga, waiting for the doors to open to the Shaggy 2 Dope concert, I was standing around with some friends (Old & new) smoking a j of some good ol' ga kind. I got distracted & began introducing myself to some new kid who i'd never seen before. Then, from below, I heard some guy say "WTF kind of name is that?!". It was one of the cutest guys I had ever seen. We spent the next few hours exchanging wise cracks & horsing around. I dragged him around introducing him to everyone (he was from colorado). He was a non-smoker, but seemed ok with being around it. I have ALWAYS been extreemly open about my smoking with everyone in my life. My parents, my family, friends co-workers, what have you. (Though only when it comes up in appropriate situation, not like I walk up to people and say "Hi, my name is tonya, & im a stoner" lol). Hell, 99% of my family smokes.

It took him several months for him to build my trust (i was still hurt from previous accounts) In june 2k6 he moved home to colorado, but instead of things fizzling out, he flew me out for visits, & even came to GA for a clown show because "It wasnt the same being at one with out" me. We fell further & further in love with eachother. I moved to colorado In november of the same year, 1500 miles away from anyone & everything i had ever known. I stopped smoking pot douring the initial couple of months, as a. i had no recourses, and b. i needed a job. I even bought a new pipe with in a week of living here, showed it to him & everything, i didnt hide it.

I got a job & developed recourses, and then the problems began. He started bitching more & more "I dont want it in my house" "I dont want you to be around me stoned" and then just flat out "You can't do that". So... I would stop for a few weeks here, a few weeks there, then the depression would come back, he would start being the dumbass drunk that he is, i would discover more & more of not only the lies he had told me, but also was still telling me (Mostly about his drinking) & I would say fuck it...

Eventually I said fuck it all together, and sort of lead a double life, I smoke litterally every chance I got, i suppose subconciously it was a challenge, to see exactly what I could get away with. I could litterally smoke a bowl of some danky dank Rocky mountains shit 5 minutes before he would get home and he would never smell it or even think that I was high. Sneak tokes in the car while he went into the filling station.

Now, I know all of this was wrong for me to do... very very wrong for me to do, and i regret all of the lies & sneaking. But lets not forget, he is guilty of the same.

As I said, I work two jobs & take care of all the bills (He makes more money, but it comes down to me to making sure they get paid). I go to the liquor store for him almost every night, when he needs another shot but is drunk & therefore refuses to drive. I deal with his bizzar alcoholism, the mood swings & the drunken child like fits. All I ask for is to smoke a little bud, which doesnt affect my/our life/abilities 1/10 of the way his habbits affect them.

Now... here we are 3 years & just over 3 months into our relationship, we were engaged & then married in june (yeah, came as a total shock to me as it happened too, lol) No kids or anything like that. Then about 2 weeks ago, we got up in the middle of the night, I sat on the couch to smoke a cigarette & he went to the bathroom. He came back with my tampon box (Thats right folks, my tampon box), which had an old aluminum pipe, some papers, and a hanging scale (My glass & current stash, of some of the most brilliant purple weed i have seen locally, were stashed safely under the couch). He sat it down in front of me and all i replied with was "Yeah?" He replied with the same "Yeah." We hashed it out over the next couple of days. Douring which he threatened annulment (which he does have grounds for under local law as he was theoretically "tricked" into the marriage), made it painfully obvious that he doesnt care about my opinion on the subject & that I have to choose either him or marijuana. I have his wedding ring on my necklace as we speek 2 weeks later, he refuses to wear it. He says I basically cheated on him and he would have rather have walked in on me banging some dude in the shower.

I still havent completly stopped smoking, my best hippie friend (also convieniently my next door neighbor) has been letting me drop in for a toke here & there, and I actually reclaimed my glass from her & got a bag...

That was the story, This is the problem (If you havent figured it out):

Our entire relationship has been absulutly amazing & damn near perfect exept for the issue of substance usage, his absurd drinking & my smoking (the ultimate in good vs. evil). We both know where eachother stands, atleast I know where all the cards are, he may not really care. (And its not the legallity of the issue that stands, as he has me purchase pain meds on the street when he has issues with his very poor teeth, through the same "stupid stoners" he hates me to associate with) He has made it very obvious that hes not going to quit drinking, and hes not going to budge on the whole pot thing.

Do I sacrifice the one thing in my life that has failed to let me down, even when my significant other has hurt me & let me down beyond all other. Do I give up the closest to complete inner peace that one can achieve, for a chance that maybe one day he will sober up & wont be dead at 35 from Cirrhosis or Hep. Or do I suck it up, and deal with the heart ache of losing the one man that i would do anything for, i even left my home, my family, to persue a relationship with this man. I undoubtedly love him, but i just feel that what he is doing, and the ultimatums that he is delivering is not fair. Not fair at all.

I hope I have not bored you to tears... and I hope its not seen as whining, I have come to a fork in my lifes path and Im genuinly scared & confused as to which path to take, is it time to settle down & "grow up" or was I brought here for bigger & better things? I know none of you can answer that, maybe im just stoned & trying to organize my thoughts. Either way, thanks for listening.

2. wow.....well ima dude so i can tell you...finding weed...or finiding my girl getting piped down.....

lol ya right its nt even a comparission...yo husband dumb..leave him...find some one more accepting and less drunk lol

me and my girl...stoner love...4 years...beautiful ;)

3. you will never be happy if you cant be yourself!!!

we all got to be who we are regardless of what that is ...if he wont work with you you may be left with no choice but to leave?

of corse if he realy loves you he should take you for who you are period!!!

good luck i hope you find a way to work it out...

but if you have to change who you are to stay with you ..you may well end up resenting him in the end?

4. do what ever makes Tonya happy, as far as relationships go if you sacrfice smoking tell him to sacrfice drinking, and if he brings up the fact that smoking is illegal, tell him to tell that to all of the slaves that built this country that were once "illegal" if you will...illegal dont mean sh#t to me its all man made and the idea of man...not right or wrong....

5. You gotta tell him that it is completely unfair to make you choose between him and bud. If he truly loved you then he would realize that bud was a part of your life and accept you for who you are. But it all boils down to what you feel is best for your self. Good luck and stay true to your self.

6. The first two things that came into my mind.

1. If you really, REALLY love him, unconditionally and with not regrets, and he loves you the same, then you BOTH need to give up the vices. He should give up alcohol, and you should give up marijuana. Make both people happy/miserable (however you want to look at it).

2. (this one is my favorite) Tell him that marijuana is part of your life and who he fell in love with. If he doesn't love you, and the decisions you make, then he has no business being in your life.

/thread

7. Thats retarded, he needs to accept you.
    I'm sure you have tried to explain how you feel about weed to him and if he doesnt get it, and is making you choose between him and mary.. wtf mary hands down.

Just because he asked you to pick between him and something else is enough to pick something else (so long as its the grass).

If he really loved you, he would figure it out...

IMO

8. Mary Jane never would never ask you to choose between her and some other guy.

9. When you said you all hashed it out, I got excited. :p

But he sounds very closed minded about the whole thing. Definitely compare it to drinking, considering it's worse. Don't commit yourself to a situation you won't be happy in.

10. #10 SpacemanSpliffy, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
    Being unwilling to quit using a substance over a marriage shows to me that maybe you are not in the position to be married to this person (honestly it sounds like you are addicted to pot - which I know people say its nonaddicting but I have my own reservations about that.) And it sounds like he is becoming an alcoholic- which is even worse than being a pothead!

I suggest you both sit down, have a serious talk about where you are at in your lives with your respective substances and make a compromise. Maybe he drinks less and you smoke less, and you two are more open about that issues instead of sneaking it all the time. But you have to WANT to have a change or nothing will happen. Has he ever smoked weed before? does he even understand where you are coming from?

PS Colorado is dank. Hell yea.

11. Thank you all for the positive comments. We have been doing this dance for 3 years, so most of the things that were told to say to him, i have already said, "tell him to quit drinking", "explain how you feel" so on & so forth.

And I am 100% willing to make compromise, i would fully (or partially, depending on the compromise) stop smoking if he would stop drinking (which i have basically formed a hatred for). Yes he has smoked before, and was some what of a "stoner" himself once upon a time.

And I don't believe I am "addicted" to smoking, but I feel as though it is very unfair of him to force me to choose between the two things in my life that have brought me the truest happiness. I feel like it is unfair that he has the right to put the substances he chooses in his body to "deal with stress" or even just have fun. Why can't i have the same freedoms?

I know in my heart of hearts that I love him & would rather be with him than be high. But why should i be the only one to make sacrifices, when I have already given so much?

I know this is a fucked up situation, and im sorry to put this on total strangers, I just needed some new incite on the whole thing. Thanks so much again, guys. :)

12. always look out for number one.

thats you, hun

hipocracy is something that personally makes me livid. i wouldnt take it. i understand its prolly gonna turn ur life upside down if the relationship falls apart. do you think its worth salvaging?

i wish i had the answers, however i do not.

13. I believe our relationship is worth its weight in Himalayan gold nugs my friend, and I feel so torn because i want to choose the relationship, because it would be stupid to throw away the best thing thats happened to my life over getting high. If it werent for kelly i wouldnt have found my way to this amazing state, i would not have had the experiences & good times i have, nor would i have the shot at a decent future that i do now (i had some, uh, issues when we met)

I just feel like I am being bullied, and forced to comform to a life in which i dont feel is the life i was destined for. Neither of which make me very happy, at all... And i am just down right scared of how things will go either way.

If i stay, i cant promise i will never touch a pipe again, I can't promise that i wont be super stupid bitchy over his drinking, but I can promise that i will continue to dedicate my entire being to him & our relationship, doing whatever it takes to pay those bills & work towards that dream.

If i go, i will lose everything that i have poured the last 3 years of my life into, leaving me homeless, vehicleless & w/terrible credit, also, more torn & heart broken than i have ever experienced.

I really dont want to leave, i just want to know its ok for me to be myself, and not get yelled at for just wanting to smoke a little green & go pick sunflowers by the lake... why is that so damn wrong?

14. If you feel like you are being bullied, and FORCED to CONFORM, where is the love? That sounds like a slave to me.

One of the problems I see in this relationship is that you are willing to whatever is necessary to keep it going... but what has he offered? Sure, he is a nice guy, and you love him to death, but how far do you think he is willing to go with the relationship? is he really in it for the long run? if he is, you have two options. 1. make a stand, and tell him you want to be with him, but he needs to accept your OWN choices and what you do to be happy. or 2. actually compromise. From what I have read, this guy really isnt into give an take... just the take part.

15. Ignore people telling you to 'grow up and move on; it's just pot'. It's not about quitting pot - it's about letting go of something you love simply because your partner can't accept it. That's not good.

Smoking weed, as you say, helped you become the woman you are that he fell in love with.

His ultimate goal in the relationship should be to keep you healthy, safe, and happy. Weed doesn't put you in any danger like his drinking problem does, and it makes you happy. Why should he tear this from you?

I think you should consider having another in-depth talk with him. It's not about the pot, it's about the principle of him making you quit one of your favorite, harmless pastimes because he isn't willing to accept it.

16. What does he do for the relationship? He always makes sure the money is there, he works 60+ hours a week, every week, at a shit job. He protects me and does most of the things i dont want to do. He makes sure i get to have all of the stupid shit that i just *have* to get. He takes care of me when im sick & hugs me when im sad. He does give, but he just expects me to give more.

17. You have to make it stop, you fuckin married the guy but NOW hes saying your horrible for a little smoking(much safer then alcohol BTW) if he really love syou, or even cares for you at all, he wouldnt be trying to change YOU, the women he fell for and eventually married.
    I would start by being the same way about his ALOHOLISM, maybe get him to some counseling, rehabilitation, something of the like, to help him, you seem fine with your so called 'habit' of consuming cannabis, if thats teh route you want to take, and make him feel like he makes you feel about smoking. I ASSume that you are clean and you dont drink or smoke cigs, if you do it might be a little harder to try and change his view.
    I reccoment the movie The Union. You can find it right on google video for free, or buy the newly release DVD. Show him teh movie and have a deep, RATional debate about it afterwards. And go from there.

18. He refuses to have this conversation again... Ive been trying. its retarded honestly... the more i think about it the more irritated & disgruntled I become. And i dont like being this way... I'm generally like, the most level headed & zen person i know. and its like right now i dont know up from down.

19. What you are telling us here, right now on this thread, is what you must calmly explain to your husband, WE cant change him, only you can. Sure soem people here migh have some somewhat helpful advice, but that will only lead to the next step, thats when it will come up blank.

20. I do smoke cigarettes, but when it comes to drinking (what once was something i did somewhat frequently,) now maybe i will have a drink with a dinner out with family, which is quite rare.

And once again, he litterally NOT listen to me about anything, like wont do it at all, not happening, no. le sigh...