Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

seeing the doc tomorow

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ehmm ayche, Mar 10, 2009.

1. okay so i live near toronto canada and im seeing him about my chronic sleep disorder. How do i bring up getting a mmj card without sounding like a complete 18 year old stoner, because i want him to take me seriously because i believe that it really is the only thing that can help me. Ive tried everything that is reccomended to cure my problem but the only thing that works efficiently is weed

2. Same thing for me, same problem.

However, my symptoms go back quite a ways. Is he your family doctor? Have you tried conventional medicine for sleeping? Have you seen him before about this problem?

The argument I have is that I have tried sleeping pills, and that I have no marijuana in my system right now to prove I have no dependency. I didn't start smoking until 21, and it simply improves my life in every imaginable way by improving my sleep.

You should mention how sleep deprivation effects everything. It makes a person irritable, it makes a person depressed, it can affect your eating habits, your job performance and school performance. Say you only want the card so you can confront your family and have credibility towards what you're doing.

I hope that helped.

3. i would think about it a bit before going in with a shaky story... i have a feeling you'll get flagged if they think you are b.s'ing.

DON'T tell him you've smoked pot. that will be the end of that.

tell them you want a sleep aid, but you want something natural, with no risk of dependecy or side effects. Tell him you're "uncle" got prescribed mmj for his insomnia, and that you were wondering his professional opinion.

If he says MMJ is out, just say okay, and go find another doctor. Don't pout and make a big deal tho, or they'll make a note about it in your file and they'll think you are a fiend.

this is kindof similar to how we used to treat obvious pillheads who came into the pharmacy where i worked at.

4. #4 aTam, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    A supported story works better than this. If you've already tried conventional medicine from that doctor, there is no reason to think the person is lying.

However if it is a random doctor and you have no records of your "condition" than you're correct.

5. THank you guys so much
    aTam, what kind of sleep disorder do you have?

and i believe i have delayed sleep-phase syndrom, its self diagnosed, but from everything ive read about every sleep disorder, this one describes me perfectly, no matter what resource i read it in.

And it has caused me to be very irratable, especially lately as its been getting progressivly worse. I can barely function unless I drink energy drinks, i get so tired that coffee doesnt even give me energy.

I have tried taking Ambien, tylonol pm, nyquil, basicly everything that induces sleep or causes drowsiness as a side effect that i can get my hands on, but none of them can put me down. I've read that this is common for the disorder.

And I still live with my parents and they are somewhat anti-pot, like they both used to smoke weed, but they saw all their friends and stuff that basicly lived for pot, bought a van and just camped out in BC for 15-20 years and now all those people have serious issues with money, so they dont want that to happen to me, even though i can garantee that it wont.

So im going to try and get the doctors recomendation for it and then try to educate them, prove that it can be useful.

I honestly 150% dont want my card so that i can just moss all day and smoke all the weed i want, i want it so that i can function like a normal person.

its been making me depressed, agitated, irratable and i just want it to stop.

6. I wonder why asking for marijuana to help you sleep is so bad, whats the difference in asking for any other prescription? Don't be a pussy, just say you have insomnia problems and smoking weed greatly helps you and doesn't knock you out and make you groggy the next day like prescriptions or otc sleep aids

7. I don't want to say I have insomnia, I fully understand what it is and many people like to spout they have it just because they have trouble sleeping.

I simply run on a 24 hour clock, always have. I become exhausted and still can not fall asleep.

When I am up for extended periods of time, for instance when I start a midnight shift already tired. When I go to sleep, I'll quickly wake up partly paralyzed and with trouble breathing. It only last maybe 10 seconds, but is is just horrible.

When I used a pill to sleep, or something over the counter I find I have no trouble going to sleep, but once I wake up it feels as though I didn't sleep at all and have to nap again during the day. I simply avoid taking these unless I become completely stressed from being awake for too long.

What's interesting in my case is that all through high school because of my sleep I missed an incredible amount of school. However, after high school I was introduced to cannabis and held a job down for a year and only had 2 sick days due to the flu.

These points I am able to prove, and I think is valuable. This is the kind of information people need to compile before seeing their doctor.

8. well its not the fact that its asking for weed

its the person that is asking for weed. For example, a 40 year old high class buisness man is much morelikely to get a prescription than a 18 year old highschool teenager. When doctors give prescriptions, they are putting their license on the line, so if a doctor takes a risk at giving a kid a green card, then that kid goes out and buy as much as he is allowed and gets caught dealing that weed, the doctor will lose his license.

So mmj is a very touchy subject with alot of doctors. So i have to be safe if i want to get the proper treatment.

this is exactly why weed should be legalized and taxed, like that the people that need treatments can get the treatments they want. I hope Cali legalizes soon and can offer as an example for places all over the world.

9. Remember, the OP is in CANADA, they have a different system up there. I would try and ask CANADIAN patients instead of US non MMJ patients.

10. I'm Canadian from Ontario as well.

It all boils down to getting a physician to sign.