Seeds won't germinate

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GermanDude, Jan 14, 2012.

1. #1 GermanDude, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    Hey there, before I start asking why this is happening let me tell you my situation. I have been trying to germ bag seeds that I picked up only a few months ago. I have been doing the water cup method and then switching the "Good" seeds to the papertowel method but instead of using papertowels I have been using just a random piece of cloth from a new t-shirt. I've been doing this for at least a month with no success. I keep the temperature of the room where my germinating seed are at 80 or 85 because obviously the temperature in the wet cloth is way lower then the ambient air temperature. The ph level of my water is 6.5, so I don't think there is a problem with that. I check on the seeds every 6, 12,. Water them with a spoon, etc.

Uh sorry, I'm not much help. Hopefully you guys have questions that I already didn't ask myself in my head. If you guys wish to see some photos of the germinating seeds let me know! :)

2. I've been experimenting the past couple days and this is what I found.

After the seeds have soaked for a while and have absorbed enough water to make them not brittle, squeeze the edges of the seed with your fingernails, apply enough steady pressure to crack it open, but not too much to where it crushes the shell. All you want it a little split. Next, do the paper towel method, but seal it in a rubbermaid. I took a few of my CFLs and put them near the container to provide extra heat, which definitely speeds up the whole process.

I couldn't get these outdoor sativa seeds to germinate for the longest time, and with this method, I've had about 80% germination.

I know some people are probably going to tell you not to do this, but it's been working for me. You just have to be careful. Let me know if you try it!

3. It could be that you bag seeds just are not viable. Bag seeds can make good grows but who knows what they have been through etc. Buying seeds from a seed bank online your ensured good genetics and proper lab room handling all the way through.

A good rule of thumb on your seeds is once you start and after about 6 7 days nothing has happened it most likely never will and best to toss them. They will just turn black and ferment..rot.

I would say if you have been trying for a month with no success you just have some non viable seeds...it happens more then you think.

4. I switched the seeds into a more airtight Tupperware, and I did what the second poster said on 3 of the seeds. In 2-3 days i'll crush one and see if it rots.

5. Cool man, let us know how it goes...if the seeds are viable, the heat will definitely help.

Also, do you know if they're Indica or Sativa? I've heard that since Sativa's grow in more tropical climates, they're used to a bunch of water being around all the time, so sometimes it takes a little more perfect conditions for them to germinate. Makes sense too, since my Indica seeds popped open next day, no problem, whereas the Sativa's needed some help.

6. i have found good success it germing seeds when i place a heating pad under the tray it heats the water to about 79-82 deg f

7. I wish I had a heating pad...I'm too broke to buy one right now

8. All seedbank seeds i have ever bought germinated within 2-3 days. Moist paper towel in a plate covered with another plate and put in a warm spot

9. scuff your seeds line a match box with very fine sand papper glued to inside chuk your seeds in then give a light shake for about 30 sec will help seed soak up more water and makes it easier for root to break through shell i germ seeds very bogan like i get a plate put toilet papper on it then seeds on top then more toilet papper wet with tap water then shoved in a dark place for a few days 80-90 percent germ rate

10. #10 BudBaby2, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
    I had a huge problem with germing seeds myself. I haven't ever gotten the method where you soak them in a glass of water to work for me yet. But I have tried the paper towel method. What I do is soak 2 pieces of paper towel in room temp water or water that is slightly warmer then room temp. I fold the paper towel up and place about 3 or 4 seeds in there, put it in a zip lock baggie then wrap the baggie in tin foil (losely, but tight enough that no light seeps in) then I let it sit under a light. My seeds usually crack within 24 hours and are planted within 72 hours of germinating. And I'm growing from bag seeds as well that are probably a year to two old and I already have 2 6 inch sprouts (13 days old) and another 2 inch sprout (3 days). After about a week I junk all seeds that haven't cracked. I have about 70% to 90% success everytime.
    The thing with bag seeds is they can produce a good grow but you really don't know what they've been through so you should always perform a seed check before attempting to germ. Seeds that are green, smaller, soft, cracked, scared aren't good. I know some people who have gotten pale seeds to germ and grow amazing bud but I haven't yet. I usually just germ the bigger,darker, harder and smoother seeds. I pick the ones that kinda have a tiger stripped design on them.
    I learned the hard way about performing a seed check. I had placed some under developed pale green seeds in a germ bag along with some nicer dark seeds, and the green ones grew mold and completely killed the sprouts on my darker ones, I had about 6 seeds ready to plant and I had to junk them all because of mold. :(
    I've also figured out (with my seeds anyway) the seeds that won't crack or sprout usually turn the paper towel around it brownish or yellowish after a day or 2. These are the ones that go bad.
    I also suggest using paper towel or napkins instead of cloth. Cloth is heavier and can hold more water without you knowing than paper towels ca, which could mean drowning your seeds. I mean, I guess you could use cloth, I've never heard anything against it, but I'd pick something like pure cotton or even hemp cloth.
    Anyway, good luck! I hope your seeds sprout :)

11. Put some seeds in a glass of water for 24 hours. Which ever ones sink to the bottom are viable since they have absorbed water.

If any are left floating give them a few good taps to dunk them under water and they should sink. If not then I would wait another 12-24 hours to see if they sink. If they still do not sink they are not viable.

Once they have sunk I use the paper towel method. I put them in a dark place that will have consistent temps. Warm temps were never necessary for me - such as through the use of a heat mat. I just leave them in a drawer which stays around 65-70F.

If my seeds have sunk in the glass of water but haven't cracked in 6-7 days I wouldn't toss them. I give them about 2 weeks. Open the container every day to let in new air and if the paper towels start to get dry wet them again.

I just germinated some Himalayan Gold which were some fickle seeds. After 12 days of just sitting there waiting for them to crack open they both cracked open on the same day.

Good luck.

12. I'm not to sure on what strain these bag seeds might be. I'll try the matchbox trick with a new batch if the ones I have don't germinate. I would buy some seeds off a trusted site but right now I'm somewhat broke! Hahaha, bad hobbie to start when broke, anyways. Is there a site that have cheap random seeds, and by cheap I mean...15-20 dollars cheap.

13. Thanks for all the support by the way, I really didn't expect such a large input on such a commonly asked question/problem.

Grasscity rules.

14. #14 Timon55430, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
    try nirvana seed bank their weekend whopper is pretty good
    i got my papaya from them for under twenty. 11 usd for stealth shipping

15. you can go to single seed centre :) you can buy your seed individually (hence, where the name came from) I ordered 2x brazil amazonia and 1x ata tundra which came in a week and half I live in the south of US. the seeds can range from 1 euro which is 3 bucks individually for us or in packs of ten.