seeds wont germ...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Maurice, Dec 9, 2014.

1. well i'm just finishing up a bag seed grow. bag seed sank in a glass of water and germinated fine in a solo cup of coir.

these new beans are all still ungerminated after 4 days... after about 18 hours of floating i moved the seeds to solo cups and still waiting for them to pop...

could my temps be killing them? probably dips into the 60s at night but doesn't seem unreasonably cold... on the other hand it could be the water i'm giving them. i've been filtering my tap water of chlorine by leaving it out overnight instead of buying distilled water. my grownup plants don't seem to mind but maybe the seeds get killed by a smaller tolerance for tap water ?

what does everyone think ?should i just wait longer or order new seeds / use distilled water for germination

2. damn i think the tap water has to be the problem.... i thought we had clean city water up here but doing some reading and i guess there is a lot of crap in the water that probably wouldn't all evaporate overnight. can't believe i drink this stuff everyday that would suck the life right out of some good beans :S

3. #3 brixfix, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
    Seeds need warmth and slightly higher humidity. When you soaked them in water did you do it till they sank? People at least do it till they sink, some do it til the shell opens. It may take longer then a few days. If floor space isn't a problem I just germ them right in the soil, screw all that water or paper towel bs. Natures been getting seeds like that way before I started growing, but its all a personal choice. I maintain my temps around high 70,s to 80 with approximately 60% and to this date haven't lost a seed yet. I usually start from clone, but not always. Cool weather will slow them down, get those temps up. Germed 3 Barney's LSD this week in soil, 3 days they broke ground, but that's not every seed some take a few days, some are just bad.

4. #4 Maurice, Dec 9, 2014
    i thought leaving them in water over 24 hours could harm em. i got 4 in paper towel and a few in coir solocups. i moved them both into warm places yesterday the paper towels are right in the flower room @ 80 degrees the solocups are under 18 hours of veg spectrum with some clones. temp is about 70 but the RH is about 30 or lower usually.. could this be the reason they're taking forever to break ground?

i would think not because the cups are fully watered... paper towels are in a bag and the seeds were outright in water.. seems like low RH wouldn't matter (keeping it low for the end of flowering cycle) 

5. #5 brixfix, Dec 9, 2014
    Yes, don't think and take a guess, do some research or your going to run into more stumbles then you need too. Think nice warm spring day.seedlings need humidity to absorb moisture. Some people leave them in water for 48 hours the thought being if they don't sink they're usually not viable seeds. See that's why I skip all the hub bub. Just plant them in dirt like nature intended is how I do it Everyone talks about floor space, use a solo cup they take up way less space then the pot the plants going to grow in and I don't have to do all the soaking or paper towel stuff, then move them, then planting. Get to skip the 1st 2 steps of a 3 step process. Read online there's a ton of info all of it says warm temps and higher humidity, don't ever take someone's word without doing your own research.

6. #6 brixfix, Dec 9, 2014
    By fully watered, what do you mean? You can water too much and drown them soil needs to be slightly damp not soaked

7. If the seeds won't germ, put them in a glass of water and drop a few drops of grow nutes in the water.

I had one seed I thought was dead. So I experimented. 7 days in water, no signs of life. Drop 2-3 drops of nutes in 3-400 ml of water - germed in the next 24hrs

Come join the revolution!! Australia needs its medicinal cannabis!

IG: 420.Australia