Seeds Open but not growing? help plz

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Chaos Kings CNA West Aus, Feb 9, 2015.

1. #1 Chaos Kings CNA West Aus, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    HI all hope your grows are doing better than mine.

I recently started growing and ran into some trouble on my first grow. figured out my problems and decided to do a practice run on some bag seeds but ran into a problem germinating them.

I soaked them in a cup of ph'd water 5.8 and let them soak over 24hrs in the dark. they all started to open up so I soaked my rock wool cubes in about a 20- 30% nutrient solution put them in the cube's and was pretty happy so far. 3 days later they still havnt grown tap roots. 1 of them which was the first to open up is about 3-4mm long but hasn't changed in the last day or 2.

What am I doing wrong? and are they saveable still or should I just chuck them and try to find somemore bag seeds??

Attached Files:

2. so 4hrs later 57 views and not one reply... Good to know people help each other here...

3. Q.Q get some new seeds, man.

4. aiight But where am I going wrong?

5. put them in some soil and get the lights on them

6. What's up man I'm pretty new here but from the pic your seeds look like they are still alive and kickin, definitely don't give up on them just yet, unless they are dried out. In my experience geraming seeds, warmth and moisture are big factors. What I usually do is the cup method like you mentioned for a night and then into a moist paper towel a few sheets thick, moist not drenched, fold the towel in half with the seeds in the middle. I place this in a Tupperware with the lid on but not closed airtight. I put the Tupperware on a heating pad in a dark cabinet. Sometimes I put it on an incline and make sure all my seed are taproot facing down for gravity. Keeping them moist and humid the taproot will start growing like no tomorrow. This has worked 90% for me if you forget about them the taproots get outta control and will shuck the shell even in the dark. When you go to put in the rockwool, make a hole about as deep as you taproot with a toothpick or something. Then you should be good to go. So I'd say try the paper towel, if they are alive they will grow

7. Also just read something in your post, I don't believe that ANY nutes are needed when soaking your rockwool for seedlings. Are you just usings the starter cubes?

8. looks like there are some decent ppl on here thanks guys ill try your opinions out and see how I go ill put my air pump in my cubes and flush some water out and put a couple in some soil.  

Much appreciated guys

9. oh and yeah just using starter cubes <span>GnR90</span>

10. Yea man when using the starter cubes with seedlings just pH them, only use nutes for clones. The seed itself has all the food it will need for a good two weeks. Also try to make sure your rockwool cubes aren't waterlogged. Gently squeeze any excess water out. The reason why roots grow is to look for water and nutrients. I've been told that nutes will disrupt seeds from growing idk if that's permanent damage or not. If I was in your position and you wanna do your grow in rockwool I would just scrap the cubes and put the seeds in the paper towel until you can get new cubes and they taproot begins to grow a little. You could put them in soil but idk if that's the best place for them. If you use soil don't use any nutes for a while. A soil less mix like promix is great for starting seeds too. And if you are using unfiltered tap water there will be nutes in there to last a week or so

11. thanks for the extensive advice.. much appreciation for the time you put into your response!! 

12. gnr90 is right on all points .. just make sure it jut warm around 75 degress an nnno nuts at all k :)