Seeds not germinating- Room temp or seed prob?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by paestum, Jan 25, 2022.

1. I am an infrequent grower growing in an Aerogarden Farm...

It's winter here so my grow space is in a room at 16C/60F most of the day. If I turn the heat on in the small room the Aerogarden

I have noticed it takes longer this time of year for the seeds to germinate. When they do they tend to get tangled up in the pods and I have to carefully remove the husk, then put the root back so it grows. Which I hate because I am afraid of contaminating the seedling. Sometimes successfully, other times less so.

And many times the seeds just don't germinate at all.

Do you recommend--
    • Pre-germinating before they go into an Aerogarden pod?
    • Raising the room temperature?
    • Something else?
    Seeds are from a reputable source...

Whaddaya think is going on here?

Thanks!

2. Raise the temperature....... I prefer around 80f.

3. cool thanks... prob is then the tanks get super hot... it's like a catch 22

4. I tried starting some seeds a few months ago and they took forever to germinate and were short and stubby, they eventually died. So I took 3 more seeds and used the same method but this time I used a warming mat ($15), they sprouted in two days and I have some extremely strong looking starts. Temp is the key, BTW I live in far SW Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Likely the temperature. Try setting the seeds higher up- like on top of the fridge or the top shelf of a kitchen cabinet. Or you could get the warming mat that @Duft suggested.

Granny :wave:

6. As things stand it's taking more than a week for some of the seeds to begin to germinate. I'm wondering if I might place them on a warming pad for 2-3 days and then transfer into the Aerogarden pods if that would help accelerate the process? Or is that not advisable? Thanks!

7. Did you then transfer the seedlings into the Aerogarden pods?

8. Not sure what Aerogarden pods are, transplanted them into a sterilized potting soil and they're doing awesome though!

9. Basically they are pods that you put the seeds in... then the pods go into the device

Attached Files:

• __57.jpg
      __57.jpg
      File size:
      131.8 KB
      Views: