Seeds in feminized plants??

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by winks00, Jan 3, 2019.

1. What an annoying issue I have going on...

Here's a quick description of my setup.

I have a 5' X 5' tent with 4 - 8 gallon rectangular buckets piped together going to a 40 gallon reservoir outside the tent.

I use one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 900W LED Grow Light above each of the inside buckets (I do not always have them all on).

I use RO water, General Hydroponics nutrients and CalMagic.. And follow my own adaptation of the Lucas Method.

I Veg for about 4 weeks then use a jewelers loupe and a feel for how firm the buds are to determine when it is time for harvest..

This was only my 3rd grow, so I am definitely still new and learning, so I only grew 3 plants... One feminized Double Zero (a cross of ChemDawg and OGK) and two feminized GG#4. I had previously grown both and was very happy..

The grow went great and things looked very good.. I did notice that one of the GG#4 plants was way shorter than the other, but I didn't think much about it.. About a month before harvest, I found a few seeds during trimming.. I had heard of a plant sometimes having one branch that has seeds, but these were feminized seeds so I didn't think much about it... Now I have completed the harvest, the flower smells great. The buds are nice and firm. And everything seems perfect except I am finding quite a few seeds.. The plants are not totally covered but there are some in each plant!! Is it possible for a feminized plant to fertilize other plants??

How do I prevent this in the future?? I did do visual checks and never saw any indications that I had a Male plant.. Even though I get feminized seeds, I still do basic checks just incase... I am starting another grow immediately, so should I treat them as if they were regular seeds even though I spend extra for feminized?? I definitely don't want this to happen again!!

My most recent harvest

2. Fem plant, will not fertilize your other girls, don't worry!
    Did you find the seeds in you GG plants?

3. Could possibly be some variety of stress to the plant

4. #4 Tommy McCain, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    One of your plants threw some nanners (male sex organ) because of stress or some other factor. It could be genetics and not stress because Chemdog is known for throwing some male flowers at the end of flower. The seeds would be feminized because there is no male.

Yes if there is male pollen in the room (from a fem plant or not) it will pollinate any plant you have in flower.

You could save the seeds and pop them later. A lot of elite clones come from these "happy accidents"(Chemdog and her sisters, OGKB and others). I would watch for nanners and dispose of any plants that throw more nanners.

5. Sometimes it’s just shit luck. I have a Cookies Kush that’s got some seeds with 0 stress and no male in sight. I don’t really care... more seeds for later...

• Like Like x 1
  6. You do not need a male. A female can breed with a female. Your females hermaphrodited on you and made male pollen. This is how feminized seeds are made (typically breeders use colloidal silver to make the plant throw male flowers). Life finds a way(Jurassic Park style!). You must have carried the pollen from the other plants on your clothes. Do you have any friends with male plants? That is the other possibility. Outside male pollen brought into your garden. It happens to the best of us. Great way to learn.

7. No lol. Absolute nothing. It’s all just shit luck for this plant. There’s tons of other articles and threads about cookie kush just doing this genetically.

8. I like your profile picture. I'm a huge Dead fan. "He's Gone" is a great song, I sing that verse a lot when I'm stoned, happy, hanging with my kids, working in my garden...basically anytime I'm happy.

My other favorite verse I sing when I'm happy:
    Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul.

9. That is a killer song! I was born and raised on the dead. I was a huge dead head back in the day.. I followed them show to show from 1966-1971. My brains a little fried if ya know what I mean. Have you watched to dead documentary?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I watched the one on Amazon it was great. It makes me think I missed the fun. Oh man early 70's is some of my favorite Dead music. Must have been some great memories.

11. What do you mean by "nanners"? It is a hilarious term and I think I can deduce what it means but I'm not totally sure . I am pretty sure that I didn't have any stress. It was a very noneventful grow.. The only oddity was one GG4 was way smaller than the other..

12. Apparently I have some very good GG4 and 00 seeds if anyone has some other strain to trade for

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nanners...Bannanas...or Balls. Whatever you call them.You get the idea!

download.jpg

Nanners is a old term growers use for balls on a female plant.

14. A nanner is a male stamen containing pollen that some plants throw out late in flower as a last ditch effort to become fertilized. They are sometime hard to see and find - they are yellow and curved like a banana. Some growers do this intentionally by either letting their plant go a long time or stressing it somehow so as to get female seeds - it's known as rodelization. This is not a true hermaphrodite like when both balls and pistils form at the beginning of flower. Hope that helps.

15. Females will throw seeds as a defense to keep the cycle going

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk