Seeds have sprouted and are 4" What next?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vdubplate, Jun 30, 2011.

1. So All my seeds sprouted and are growing tall. I have a blue grow light on them now and a Metal Halide 600watt light coming in the mail. My question is what do I have to do at this point or what can I do to make sure they root, grow nice strong stems and maintain their health? My last plants never grew strong stems and I had to tie them up right away so I must have done something wrong. Anyone have any good tips or articles they can share?

2. 4" tall stems or are there nodes with leaves? What kind of blue light?

3. Usually 4" stems with one set of leaves is cause for me to think that the light is too far away. As for growing strong stems I would get a 6" oscillating fan and train it on your plants.

4. The lights are about a foot and a half away and are blue grow light bulbs that I bought from home depot. I read that you needed blue spectrum so they seemed like a good choice until I got the better light setup.

5. Yeah that's probably a little far away. Especially if it's a cfl or a fluoro.

6. exactly what type of blue grow bulbs are they?

7. They are like flood lights

8. So Check this out. These are my plants. While I was on vacation I had my gf take them off the lights because they were getting to long and falling over. Anyone know how to correct this?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

9. start over, put the new plants closer to the light. Your plants are way to stretched to even hold themselves up.

10. You think they are goners?

11. I wonder if I can replant and bury most of the stem

12. Yes you can bury the stem. It will eventually grow roots. You need to still get them closer to the light.

13. I figured all might be lost so I planted them in my garden and they didnt look to good. i went out this morning and they look really healthy.

14. you should replant them with most of that stem in the ground, it will grow roots. second move your lights closer. when you get your MH you should be good to go.

I hear alot about stretching but I let mine stretch until they are about 1.5 feet tall. under a 1000W with fans the stalks get thick. I personally don't move them close to the light until they are taller than 2 ft. then I move them closer which shortens the inter-node length and then I prune off the under brush. Chances are they will be shaded anyway and produce very little buds. Then I top them when they reach the height I want. When I reach flowering my plants look like lolly pops. There is a couple books that describe this type of pruning, but attached is a pic that will give you an example. This actually will help you produce more buds by saving the plant energy on shaded buds, only your canopy will bud.

Good Luck

15. These have been growing for a couple weeks. How long until I must take them out of the cup and put them outside? How long until anything smokeable grows? I'm a newbie and this is my first experiment. I will probably have to destroy them at the end of August but I just want to try this test run for when I actually have enough private space to grow real plants. Sorry for the newbie/dumb questions.

Attached Files:

16. I would have already put those in the ground. Well pots at least. pending on your local light schedule (how many hours of sun light you get per day) I would suggest getting them outside now. with out door nature will take care of the whole flowering process for you all you have to do is feed them. then in 3.5 to 4 months you will have smokeable if they are female