seeds from the 80's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by fenor, May 2, 2013.

1. I recently came across some seeds from the mid 80's. My father-in-law had them in a lock box, and saved them for a special time! Now!

I germinated about 15 seeds and got 12 to sprout. They are two weeks in. Right now they get water pH'd to about 5.8 they are about 2 inches tall, and they are in makeshift milk jug containers to give them some more room. when would be the optimal time to transplant them into a bigger pot?

All of them had healthy looking "true leaves" at the start, with nice fat twin leaves. But on one of the plants, it had 3 "true leaves", i was thinking it was a sign! ;)

im thinking a few are indica, but they are mostly sativas. does anyone know about strains from that time?

I can post pics if needed, but not at the moment.

2. Also, I spoke to a woman who gave alot of info, and she said that they were also GMO? or un-GMO? Which is unheard of anymore. I guess (and crossing some fingers) that they are original strains :)

3. Strains come and go the only way you will be able to tell Indica or Sativa is to grow it out. Identifying it probably will be impossible. As for GMO highly highly doubtful as that is hardly done or not done today on cannabis. Genetically Modified Organisms require a ton of money many layers of government to bring to fruition then if they are a corporation the Feds would shut them down instantly. Interstate Commerce laws and IRS codes prevent companies from doing business in substances that are on the US Federal Governments list of controlled substances...which also extends to international dealings. We strong arm other countries to submit to it if they want Aid and such. Its why for instance the Cannabis industry in legal states is harder then you think to start up. There are not mainline banks that will give you a loan. Process Visa/Mastercard and they can be liable for it on a federal level.

As for your plants take them out of the milk jugs. Never use opaque or transparent materials. Light stops root growth. You can plant a germinated seed straight to its final resting spot if you want.

4. i thought containers needed to be opaque to stop light getting through

5. #5 rhapsodyrcks, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    Well one definition of opaque is not transparent, to stop light but to some its the synonym murky or cloudy. All depends how you define it :) Im in the later batch.

6. How in the hell can seeds live for over 30 years? How can live for over 20 or even 10? Seems they would have decomposed into the air or something by now. But if it's true, and you got them to sprout, then I tip my hat to you! Good job!!!

In the 80's there was thai and skunk. those were the 2 strongest strains i can remember.

7. 80s there was green crack

8. He had them in a lock box, in a little vial. So, no water and a cool temp, no sprouting. They probably thought they were in winter this long. And I'm gonna get them into 20 gallon containers soon.

I'm just excited to see how they turn out :)

9. Rule of thumb is 1 gallon pot per foot of growth and the plant grow 2/3 the size once flowering in induced I would move directly to a one gallon then to a 5 gal once plane is appx 12in

10. You would think that but the oldest seed germinated was 32,000 years old that was trapped in ice. The record before that was a 30,000 year old seed.

32,000-Year-Old Plant Brought Back to Life

Oldest viable seed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A seed is one of natures most perfect designs. Its inert and can take actually quite alot.

Theres a seed bank for the end times that the governments have all contributed up in Greenland. Even if there cooling systems fail they believe that the seeds would be viable for many thousands of years. It has every known seed that modern man uses. Pretty interesting stuff.

DNA actually now is being extracted from fossils. I think it was last decade that someone had a theory about it cracked open some fossils and sure enough in some there were tiny bits of matter that had not fossilized. Life will always endure.

11. Into bigger pots immediately!! If they are another color besides black, will that affect anything? I've seen some in black pots, storage tubs, and even a tire (embedded into the ground to be a planter). So I wouldn't think it would, but it doesn't hurt to hear an opinion or two.

12. if it was 60s seeds thatd be more exciting. don't suppose there are any though

13. Yeah but seeds from a past gen, that no one has access too, that is exciting.

14. 3 1/2weeks in and showing good promises!

Attached Files:

15. What part of the country was your in law in when he collected the seeds? That could have a good bearing on what they "might" be.
    By the mid 80's, in the eastern US anyway, Jamaican strains were becoming hard to come by. Colombian strains were in full swing, with RedBud being the dominant variety. Occasionally you could get GoldBud, an extra treat. Both had a nice hash flavor that's hard to come by these days. Both the Jamaican and Colombian strains were sativa strains with a long finishing time, well suited to outdoors & more of a PITA for indoor growers - 14-16+ weeks finishing time after first bloom and sex was shown.
    Then there was Mexican brick weed... Always was, probably always will be!!! Standard old street bag weed most of the time' but occasionally you got the true gems of Mexican land race strains that have been the building blocks of most of today's modern strains. We're talking Acapulco Gold, Michoacan, Oaxacan, and Panama Red... Fooking legendary strains that anyone would still be happy to smoke today.
    By the mid 8o's these were becoming harder and harder to find, but still possible.
    Chances are slim you will have any of these, but the reward will be worth the effort if you hit any of these.

Now, if Dad was west coast, different markets there. Mexican was everywhere, same strains on both coasts. But add Hawaiian to the lists for there... Maui Waui was best known, then there was / still is a Hawaiian gold strain that was a beauty to behold. And Indicas were everywhere on the left coast, Afghani's / kush'es most prevalent.
    Guess the morale of this rambling is, who knows???? I would pump Dad for some more info.. Where he was, what it tasted like, color, smell / taste (dirt or hash or stinky?), any info he can remember. Since they germinated, it's definitely worth the effort to grow them out and see what you get. You may have a gem in the bucket somewhere.
    Oh... Keep cuttings for each plant, numbered to the parent. If he mixed seeds from different bags, you might only get one plant of the legendary strains, if any. It would be a shame to find one, smoke it all, and have it lost again.
    It's a long shot, but have fun, and protect your results until you know what you got. And let us know how it turns out.
    Hope this helps and bestaluck to ya.

16. It was west coast bud. And I've asked about taste and smell. But the only thing he replied with was that he wouldn't have kept them if they weren't good. There are about 10 of the little tykes. I'm assuming 4 are sativas, being lengthy then reaching for the light. The smaller ones are getting bushy and short and full of life. After my larger girls go outside, they will have more room to breathe.

17. And some if them look the same, judging by leaf shape and such. So any duplicates with become clones, then to moms. If they are dads, let the breeding begin. I plan to harvest many generations, and maybe even cross a strain with a more popular strain in this era. Super bud, here I come.

18. Shitty camera. One month old. Still excited:D

Attached Files:

19. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

20. Sounds like an excellent adventure. You should really start a grow thread so everyone can follow along, would be fun to watch.
    I never smoked any one-hit wonders back then, but all of the original high end land race strains were legitimate 3-hit, eyes-bleed-on-your-shirt shit. And most being sativas, they didn't couch lock you. Ahhhhhh ..... Sweet dreams as Cheech & Chong said. I'd do it again.