Seeds cracked, not growing tail (paper towel method)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CFLConnoisseur, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Left seeds in water until they cracked, moved them to paper towel and tails have not grown in 3 days. Do some seeds just not grow a "tail"? I gave up on waiting and just planted them.

They look like the image below and are not growing further:

[​IMG]

2. They look perfect for planting tbh.

One of mine I thought didn't, but planted and grew perfectly.

It's better to plant pre-tail anyway as you increase the risk during transplant with a tail snapping the longer it gets.

3. #3 GoldGrower, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
    The tail is the root, a plant will always have a root. My guess is they are all dead. Leaving them submerged in water is not a good idea. Very lightly dampened paper towels kept at 25℃ is what you want. They need a lot of oxygen

4. I thought its best when they're just cracked with a bit of root showing?

5. #5 hihl, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    I myself have tried the "drop it in the cup" method. Not my cup of tea i also lost all my seeds by doing this. So much easier to get a little food container......put some MOIST  not drenched but moist paper towels in there and put the seeds in the middle, then lay a paper towel over it and gently mist it with a spray bottle till you can kinda see the seeds. Put it in a dark semiwarm place and wait.......

Stop drowning your seeds by throwing them in a cup in the hopes you can germinate them faster.
    By actually looking closer at the seeds, the shells seem like they are just absolutely swollen with water, there is no oxygen exchange going on inside that seed. So yea they are probably all dead at this point.

6. #6 GoldGrower, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    I often boil hemp seed for fishing bait and they look like that. They have taken on the maximum amount of water but no growth at all. 

I have no idea why people recommend soaking marijuana seeds. They are notoriously easy to drown. Soaking even for a short time is not going to cause them to germinate faster. If you want to shave a day or two off keep them warm, but not over 30℃