Seeds are kind of expensive..

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by cinnamonbun, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Lol. I did not anticipate 12 seeds costing $75.

That said. IF I chose to take the 12 unfeminized seeds, do male plants provide any benefit? Will they at least produce any seeds for future cultivating attempts?

2. Yeah, if You get a male and it pollinates the females, You'll get lots of seeds.
    You can even force feminized plants to hermie and produce seeds.

3. I wouldn't pay near that much for regular un-sexed seeds. Feminized yeah, but not reggies.

Any other options out there for you?

4. Double Post:

5. From what youve written, I would say youre new to growing. While yes, a male will make you seeds, its a bit more complex than that. A male in amongst your ladies will produce seeds, but you dont want it ALL pollinated or your smoke will be weak, as once pollinated, all energy goes into the seeds and not the sticky stuff.
    A male needs to be separated from the ladies, and if you were to collect some pollen from him, then CAREFULLY paint some of that pollen onto a ladies bud or two. This will make you some seeds, and have some decent smoke.

Having said all that, why not get fem seeds, grow them out and clone them (before swithing to flowering), giving you more plants staright away.
    Good luck.

6. But what if I don't get/have a female? What if I buy 12 seeds, and they all produce male plants? What then? Will the male plants at the very least produce seeds so I can try again? lol

7. Males only produce pollen. they'll never grow seeds. They need to pollinate a female for the female to produce seeds. Some keep males separate, harvest the pollen, and selectively put it on females with a paint brush so only 1 part of the plant produces seeds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you get 12 males, then damn, you've got some terrible luck. :eek:

The advantage of photos is that you can clone the shit out of them. Auto's can't be cloned and need new seeds every single time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wont happen. The worst Ive ever had is 5 males from 8 seeds. I call that really unlucky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. NO. It takes one of each sex to make seeds.
    The odds of you getting all males is extremely low.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I am completely new to growing lol.Have no idea what I'm doing, tbh. Just trying to gather information before I set out to purchase seeds and other items necessary to grow things.

There's this strain I'd like to grow SoCal Master Kush – Best Cannabis Bud Depot

But as you can see, they're $75 for 12 seeds (unfeminized) so it's really a gamble to purchase them if male plants will be absolutely useless. But I do want to purchase these seeds.

12. I've seen full 5 packs come up all males, it can suck. Not sure if grower error was involved but I would be pissed. Although I've never purchased unsexed seeds.

13. I had a feeling you were looking at BCBD! 12 seeds etc. Wait a few days for the 420 sales. BCBD, Rocketseeds and Crop King Seeds are one in the same. DO NOT keep their seeds for longer than 6 months before planting, as from my experience, their viability is not so good.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. If BC bud depot really is the same as crop king, those prices are rip off. I've seen 20 packs go on sale for like 100 bucks, feminized.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. if you ain't got the cash you form a pool, and each drops a dollar in

or if you got patience you could 'turn' a common hemp plant

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ^This guy makes a good point, when I was younger and broke and seeds felt like a huge expense me and a few friends pooled on a pack of seeds. Not all of us kept growing but it was funny to see some of us try.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Lol, yeah. Buying some shitty weed HOPING for some bag seeds!

18. I know this site doesn't condone selling seeds or anything, but I think I'm safe to say that there are TONS of awesome communities out there of growers that would be willing to give you free seeds to get your hands wet.

I joined a great group on facebook all about beginner indoor growing in my area, and after making some friends and being nice, boom, I got sent some genetics to try-out.

For a lot of small time breeders and people just dabbling with genetics, it's nothing to send out 5-10 regular seeds for free, hoping somebody will have something good to say about your genetics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. When my friends and I started growing way back using only bag seed we were true noobs we literally didnt know shiznit about growing weed. For the first few years we only saw female plants and all was well !
    Then one year we experienced our first male plant. At the time We didn't know what the hell that thing was but being the novices we were we let it go. When harvest time came we realized the error we'd made but that didnt stop us from curing and smoking that funny plant that had those little balls on it .
    That particular year we had hundreds if not thousands of seeds from that crop .
    In subsequent years our knowledge increased and we would cull male plants .
    But there were times when we would hope that we'd get a male just to make seeds . Some years later we learned how to clone and the rest as they say is history .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Indeed, there are plenty of us breeders who float around other sites as well, who definitely don't mind and love to see their gear get grown.
    I know here has it's rules, I do my darnedest to obey.
    With that being said, I don't see why if you want to grow and you know a strain you like, why not purchase and invest that 75 bucks(probably can find them cheaper if you live anywhere on the west coast of the US.)
    Anyways, where you live definitely can change what things cost. That and/or being savvy with Internet research and connecting with people.
    The price is part of the fact, you could make a million seeds from that pack- so your basically buying that ability. If you don't want to make seeds, you may as well buy feminized, as long as the strain isn't prone to hermaphrodites- some are more than others.
    Which means- research, look up and read others experiences with the strain your looking at.
    If it is, I wouldn't get a femmed version. I would stick to regs.
    Anyways, indeed it takes a male and a female to procreate- such as any life which has sex and doesn't split ameoba like. However yes you could hermaphrodite a plant however I wouldn't start there.
    I would start traditionally speaking, for stability sake. Again, only if your looking to make seeds for the long adventures
    I think growing seeds- enough to start a lot, is the best way to get the strongest plant possible. One which you could only buy as a clone cause people don't sell alpha seed plants in my experience. You can randomly get one(alpha plant or the top grower of the cultivar- usually what you see pictures of when peeps sell seeds, cause the different amount of phenotypes in seeds is pretty large). You could find one in a seed pack but it's never garunteed IME. However you can get one from any strain, if you just open up your odds with seeds!
    Issues with clones is obvious once you know more. It doesn't have a tap root and is never gonna be as big as a seed, also possible to take more pruning, care, food, trellising and pest management as they aren't as strong- like a zombie plant. However the real plus to clones, is if your looking to make a uniform product for people who need consistency of a product- usually people looking to sell it.
    Also sometimes clones can take more and be close to equal and even preferred with the right setup to prefer it.
    Anyways, cheers on looking at growing as a hobby, it is tons of fun, little bits of heart ache, lots of learning and there is some good folks to connect with who do it.
    May your ventures in it, should you choose to, bring you lots of sticky sweet rewards.

• Like Like x 2