Seedlings won't grow!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Adam0173, Mar 4, 2013.

1. So I am completely new to this and am wondering what is going wrong with my seedlings. I germinated the seeds and put them in soil in red plastic cups. The soil I am using is Pro Mix Ultimate Organic. I have the cups inside a grow tent under a 400w metal halide bulb, suspended about 3 feet above them.

The first couple of seeds I germinated sprouted, but died almost immediately after sprouting out of the soil, and the two seeds I planted a few days ago haven't sprouted at all.

What's wrong? Is it the light? Is it the soil? Is it my pH level? I haven't checked my pH level, but that was going to be my next step in trying to figure this out. I don't think I'm over- or under-watering them, so I'm not sure what else to think. I've read that they should be placed under CFL lights initially, but I've also read that it doesn't really matter.

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Also, what is the success rate that people should have when planting their seeds? Is it common to only successfully grow a fraction of the seeds you plant?

Thanks for any input!

2. could be too intense of a light for them. do a search on seedlings "damping off"

3. Try molesting the seeds before planting them.

4. once your seed pops or germinates like you have explained, then you put them in there medium water them in and leave them alone in the dark until they brake the surface,, well thats what I do but lights arent so important just now, warmth humidity and yeah darkness is what they want, id check your ph and check that stuff your using isnt too hot for them,, no idea what molesting is about thats wierd. If u follow them steps with a neutral medium then they will be as happy as they can, happier than Larry. once you see the seed split and a bit of the yellow or whitesh cotyledon is visable, give it light then and itl go green green and grow, hope that helps, take it easy

5. From experience, Every seed that I've popped has sprouted and grown, so while it's not the only method, i have one that works.
    I leave my seeds on the cable box while germinating for warmth, then, once they pop, put them into solo cups with fox farm ocean forest soil ($10 a bag) with at least one 6500k 100w cfl a few inches above the cup. I also put a ziplock Baggie over the cup to keep moisture in. Then I water them 3x a day with a shot glass of tap water that's been left out for 24-48 hours to remove some chlorine. Triple light waterings keep it moist while the cfl provides just enough heat.
    Like I said, it's not the only method, but so far it's worked 100% of the time for me.
    I'm almost thinking your MH is just too much and too hot to keep your medium moist, do you keep baggies over your sprouts?
    Also, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I've seen it happen before, are you putting your seeds in upside down?

6. No, I'm not putting the seeds in upside down, so no problem there. I think it would be a good idea to start putting plastic wrap over the top to keep moisture in, and I will turn off my MH light for the time being and maybe put them under a single CFL.

I will see what happens from here, I guess!

Thanks for the input thus far!

7. it doesnt matter anyway which way you drop the seed by the law of gravity it soon find its way up, all it needs is a bit of warmth and darkness and humidity and it will go looking for the light

8. True, but if his lamp is drying his soil out, the girl is going to have a much harder time finding it's way out. That's all I was getting at.

9. fact is he shouldnt have a light over them in the first place if they have just popped the seed and he wants to give the seed the best of starts,, you get roots before you get leafs and roots like the dark, and if a soil dries out enough to restrict a seedling from sprouting then its bad soil or whatever if its setting hard like clay when it dries, I just looked over your post again and watering 3 times a day is totaly not needed if you already have it covered, infact the less you water it the quicker and better it will grow, I water mines in once then cover it and leave it alone for a week, the next time it sees water I have a plant there, after watering it in u only need to spray it if you must, always having a abundance of water there will slow it down

10. Like I said, it's not the only method, just the method that works for me.
    At any rate, I'd rather not side track his question, I'm thinking his problem has much to do with locking in moisture, yes?

11. I dont think it has anything to do with moisture no, he sais it isnt over or under watrered if it was dry he would have said,, there sprouting then dying who knows how close that light is if they are baking or what ph it is all them things could be the case we dont know,, and brother I wasnt critisising your method only not all methods are the best, and ive had to learn the hard way to get where I am and do it how I do it, now I dont even think about germinating or sprouting problems they are not a issue

12. Well, you are right, my seeds have taken a tad longer than normal. I have a weird schedule so I over water a bit simply so that they don't dry out if I have something come up unexpectedly.
    As far as broski's problem, you're absolutely right, his light is 3' above, but his ph could be all kinds of fucked. Guess we'll find out.

13. yeah, I can get like a week out of coco before watering it again but much has to do with your surrounding enviroment, its always kind of cool where I am with high humidity and with CFL they dont put out much heat, that fox farm you have will never dry out in a few days, you shouldnt worry so much about it, yeah somethings going wrong with the brother but he has all the information he needs its just a matter of puting it into action