Seedlings on my windowsill?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Barooph, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hey, I'm going to start growing my first outdoor crop in may and I have prior experience with germinating other plants but I have a couple questions:

1. Could my seedlings grow safely (without being stunted) if I put them by a large west facing window and then transplant them outdoors when they enter the vegetative state? (I'm in British Columbia if that matters).

2. How long does it take to reach the vegetative state? I've heard one week but than other people have said upwards two weeks. If the latter is true, can I put my seedlings outdoors within the first week safely?

Any help is appreciated, I wanna do this right! :)

2. windowsills always cause stretch IMO.

get a couple cheap CFLs ( 50 "true" watts will do) and let em grow out in your dixie cups ( or whatever starter pots you use) for about 21 days ..then acclimate to outdoors.

3. Thanks for the reply. How many bulbs should I get for 13 plants and will any CFL bulb do? I don't know if they're different kinds or something.

4. At the cost of CFLs to = enough light to sustain 13 plants... you should just invest in a proper mh/hps setup... do a few less plants & do it right.

5. If it was just me I wouldn't grow as much but my grow partner wants a huge yield to split and he's moving away after the summer so we can't do multiple grows off the same batch of seeds. With that being the case would it be more economical to start outside?

6. #6 hope2toke, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
    Starting inside is essential for some types of plant... case in point... habanero peppers
    [​IMG]
    do you think they liked a bit of foliar spray i had leftover, containing my home made barley sprout extract, some aloe vera gel, neem oil and liquid silica? I'm not sure LOL

Attached Files:

7. you do realize he is moving them outside for the season?

@ OP,
    for 13 plants just get a double barrel 4 ft shop light. cost like 15-20bucks at Lowes or Home Depot. You'll find plenty of uses for it when not growing.

8. they are 12 dollars at home depot. bulbs are the pricey part- they cost $4 a piece and the electricity on top of it runs a base of 68 watts per 2 bulb fixture

9. 68 watts isn't exactly much juice ( about a dime per day @ 24/7). Your PC consumes 7-8 times that ( and that's if you're not a gamer or video tech)

10. Alright, it makes sense to me. Thanks for the tips, guys. Hopefully I'll be able to give my crop a good start!

11. Hell, 68 watts isn't even exactly "juice". lol That's a drop in the bucket, like Wharfrat mentioned above.

Which brings me to my second point - you'd be pulling a HELLUVA lot more power running a mh/hps setup, even with an electric (vs. magnetic) ballast. Not to mention, you'll be able to hang the CFL's much, much closer to your seedlings - which seems preferable for what you're trying to achieve. I've even tossed around the idea of using CFL's to supplement a mh/hps system.