Seedlings on my Jiffy Puck - Transplant ?'s

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by shagwells, Oct 14, 2012.

1. #1 shagwells, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
    Hey guys,

I have a couple of very healthy seedlings that I cultivated on jiffy pucks, and after doing a little research (aka forum searching on here) I found out that jiffies are ultimately not good for cannabis? I've seen a few threads on here saying they've worked /w it just fine, but it seems the general consensus is that they're bad for cannabis and they inhibit proper root growth.

For me, my main concern is that those jiffies dry out really fast. I would soak 'em on a daily basis and towards the end of the day it would be 80% dry. I'm on day 3-4 right now where the seedlings are about 2-2.5 inches tall, but I'm thinking I should just transplant them now instead of later on because if the roots get dry, then it's game over right?

1) So according to other threads, I should cut out the bottom fabric portion of the jiffies and I've also read that I should take out as much of the jiffies in there as possible when I'm transplanting(because jiffies don't properly biodegrade as supposed to). Is this correct?

2) I have MG Organic's Choice garden soil mixed with roughly 30perc perlite on a few 8" pots and also a few 6" pots. They were on clearance @ Walmart for like a buck a piece, so I bought a bunch. The mixed soil are already in the pots and ready to go, so I figured why not just transplant them now?

3) Should I transplant and then water the medium rightaway OR water the soil first, wait a day and then transplant and water when it drys again?

Lastly, does it even make sense to go from Jiffy -> 6" -> 8" ?? I mean why go through the transplant stress when I'm thinking 8" isn't big enough? So I should go from Jiffy --> 6" --> 2/2.5 gal container and skip the 8"? Or skip the 6" and go from Jiffy --> 8" --> 2.5gal?

Another thought is why mess /w it when they're healthy now but to be honest, I find that Jiffies aren't that great and it poses a threat to my seedlings when it holds almost no weight at all at the end of the day.

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Shag-

2. Jiffy pucks suck for growing and entirely not necessary. You can use a solo cup or simply germinate and transplant into final resting spot.

They never really dissolve totally or fully, they get moldy easy and like I said entirely unnecessary.

For myself I simply germinate and place in its final resting spot. Do whatever works for you though. The less steps in the whole thing the better for myself.

3. ive never had a problem with them. I find them very easy to regulate moisture. I germinate by using a few in a repurposed wonton soup container.

soak them until they swell. plop in seeds. put in ziplock and inflate. put on warm cable box or cable modem until sprouts pop. then i pop them in soil once the first set of true leaves get bigger then the seedling leaves.