Seedlings looking sad :( HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Spencer4twenny, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Hi guys, totally new to this so please have some patience with me :)

First time grower here having some issues with my cherry punch seedlings.

4 out of 5 seeds germinated successfully, 4 of which are now potted in their final 16L rhizo pots. Their growth is impressive but over the last couple of days I have noticed the leaves on 1 of them are quite off colour,

I am using a 70/30 coco perlite mix, and am feeding using jungle juice micro grow and bloom at 1/4 dosage, feeding every day, I recently started adding a very small dose of calmag aslo, I use tap water and test pH after mixing nuet solution and get the pH to 6 - 6.2

Can anyone tell me weather this looks like a deficiency or a toxicity, could it be because iv added cal mag? Pictures are below

Thanks in advance and 888

Attached Files:

2. You got a ppm meter mate?depending on your water you might not need the calmag.
    Ph5.7 for now but first if you could run some of your usual solution through it and collect the first bit of run off.
    check the ph and ppm of that and let us know what it is. Will show if your ph is off in the pot.
    also what lights you got and how far from the top of the plant. Mmm... yeah that’ll do for now.
    nothing to worry about anyway man, be an easy fix once we figure it out :)

3. Oh and do you always get a decent run off when you feed? Ensuring there are no dry spots in the coco?

4. I reckon it’s just the ph is too high but answer the rest of that lot so I can rule out anything else. Could be a few things so..

5. I don't have a ppm meter at the moment, I'm saving to buy the blue lab pens for both ppm and pH, I'm using a cheap digital one for now, I measured my run off yesterday and it was around 6.5.
    Im using 2 marshydro ts600s they both pull 100w out the wall and are really bright they are about 18inches from the plants

6. And so do you recommend phing at 5.7 then? And the reason I'm using 1/4 strength is also because I have no ppm reader

• Like Like x 1
  7. You don’t need one mate, quarter strength should be 400-500ppm. That’s about all they need anyway. It’s just handy to have.
    It is the ph though. 6.5 is way to high.
    Go in at ph5.7 and it’ll go away after a few days. It is mag def that’s appearing but it’s the high ph that’s causing it, Not a lack of calmag.
    don’t flush or anything like that, just adjust the ph and it’ll sort itself out soon enough :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the advice mate, so you suggest I just continue feeding but at pH 5.7? And should I stay at 1/4 strength for now? I plan to increase dosage but don't want to do anything too drastic till I have the new pens

• Like Like x 1
  9. Keep to quarter strength untill the bottoms start going yellow then upto half strength.
    your current dose should be enough for the next month or so though. :)

10. It looks like a deficiency. Most over loading starts at the tips anf works back. Like archer said ya ph is to high which will be locking out nutes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 Spanish@rcher, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Wee colour coder for you.

bottoms go yellow it’s N def. means they need more base nutes.

mid growth loses colour and goes blotchy like that or rust spots appear then they need more calmag.

tops go yellow they need iron. Usually found in bottles of micro and calmag+.

If you feed light and wait for the deficits to appear before upping things then you eliminate the possibility of over feeding which can cause toxicities to look like deficits and vice versa.
    Hungry plants sort themselves out once you feed them but overfed plants can be pretty heavily damaged by the time it’s visible.

and obviously all of the above only counts if your ph is correct.
    5.7 for veg
    6 during the stretch
    6.3-6.5 for bloom.

The reason being that if your feeding correctly then the ph in the pot will rise during veg and drop during bloom. So doing it like that keeps it in range at all times :)

but yes, keep nutes the same and just adjust to ph5.7.

12. Sorry guys been at work all day, I am about to feed the girls now so will post an update tomorrow,

Thanks for the advice

13. Morning guys,

So I fed the girls yesterday 1/4 strength, and phd to 5.7, i have took some more photos to show you,

How fast should this fix?
    Could I have other problems

I thought hydro was fool proof haha I couldn't have been any more wrong there are just so many varyables lol

Pics are down below

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I don't see anything wrong.

15. It is pretty fool proof in coco I believe you just were misinformed about correct ph levels in coco. Your coco should be between 5.5 and 6.3 roughly once and a while outside either way is not a big deal you just adjust your next feed to correct. You will be rolling good soon now that you are shooting for the correct ph levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Btw I can already see improvment from the first set of pics. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. And lastly should I continue to add calmag? Or would you say that the 3 part jungle juice will have enough for now

18. Thanks man I'm still trying to identify stuff like this so I don't see the improvement I only see the negative things lol

19. Whatever you’re doing now has sorted it so just keep doing what you’re doing mate. back on track so just chill and let em do their thing :)

20. Hey mate, forgive me for sounding dumb, they had the same feed yesterday and I genuinely can't tell weather the 1 looks better or worse, like I can't tell weather its going from purple to brown, or purple to green haha, would u say it is still recovering well? Iv added only 1 photo cause the rest of the girls look fine

Attached Files: