Seedlings keep damping off

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mat_Baws, May 20, 2017.

1. Starting my autos straight in 5 gallon pots is causing me major problems.

Having read that it's better to start autos in bigger containers as the tap root shoots straight down, would I still be ok starting them in jiffy pellets until they sprout/have abit of strength before putting them in 5gal pots?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I don't grow autos, but from what I've heard and read, you start them in the container you plan to flower them in. If you're going to use a 5 gallon bucket, know that it will be DAYS and DAYS before your plants need any attention. You won't need to water again until the container is dry and starting off a small seedling in a bucket of soil that big means it's going to take it some time to even build it's root system and get going good. The more soil you start them out in, the longer it takes for them to lay down roots. But starting it in the bucket is fine if you'll just water it in and go away for 2 or 3 weeks and leave it under the light. Seedlings really need more heat than light in the beginning, so don't throw anything to heavy on them in the lighting department until they've gotten established and started putting on new growth. TWW

3. Put a damp jiffy pellet or Grow pod or whatever directly into the 5 gallon pot. Don't water the soil in the 5 gal. This way you won't overwater. The jiffy pod should have plenty of moisture for the first week. If you do water just water a little bit from the bottom. Make the taproot stretch for water!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. You can dig out a solo cup size area in center of your larger pot, fill it with some good draining seed starter mix, easy on the water, no plastic cover etc. You can do the same with a jiffy pot but i have had issues with them an no longer use them...

• Like Like x 1