Seedlings growing too fast?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by smokinfromcali, May 6, 2015.

1. #1 smokinfromcali, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
    This is my first ever grow on my own, I have helped with grows before and I've done years of research on the plant not only growing etc (just so you know i"m not clueless) but I'm finally in a situation where i could try to grow my own. But first let me talk about my grow, currently i have 2 sour dream seedlings i germinated and planted about 5-6 days ago. The plants are indoor but will be going outdoor eventually because I don't have the lights to do it inside but the southern California sun i think should do a nice job XD. Here's my problem, they were both planted the same way about a half inch into red solo cups that i used a straw to poke 4 air holes all the way through the soil from top to bottom to get air in the soil better (its a little trick a friend of mine and i came up with but we are probably not the first to do it. Its makes a 4 corner square around the plant near the edge of the cup) one of the plants is growing nice seems to be doing good its about too start growing its first actual leaves and is about 1-2 inches tall, the other one has taken off its already about 3-4 inches tall but leaves are at the same point. Im not sure if its already a sign of stretching even tho I'm keeping them out of direct light and in the dark in a nice humid chamber. I don't want it too stretch because stealth is a small factor but i just want too be sure before its too late due to the fact i only have 2 plants going. If the one that is stretching turns out to be my only fem i don't want it too stretch. Idk if its just the plants growing at their own rate or if it something i should actually look into/prevent. I'll try to post some pics from my phone when i get a chance but i just want an experienced growers input. keep in mind I'm new too Grasscity but id like to become more familiar and post more as my grow progresses considering how big this plant is in my life. Thanks in advance for any help or tips 
    -Ryan

Attached Files:

2. To reduce stretch get some CFL's before you sit them outside. They will supply enough light for the 1st 1-2 weeks of life. You can keep CFL's really close to the plant without them burning the plants and reduce stretching significantly. Get some light breeze from a fan blowing on them to get those stems thinking about something. It will help get the stems nice and strong for when you do decide to plant outside. You say your sitting them out of direct light but now that they are popped above ground you need to be keeping light on them. Get the feel for your solo cup for whenever its dry and whenever its wet that way you know your watering ONLY when you need to be.. Dont love them to death.. Literally. Whenever you decide to plant outdoors dont just sit them out in the sun for the first day or it will burn the shit out of them. Sit it outside for 4-5 days in a row eachday longer than the last until finally it has sat in the sun for a full sunup to sundown then your ready for outdoors. 

3. Good advice.  Seedlings need two things to grow a healthy stem, light and wind.  Increase the Lumens(3000/sqft advisable) and try to get them a light breeze.  Literally if you can get a fan over them 10 minutes a day thats enough for them to develop the reflex tissue necessary for a healthy stem.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stretch occurs as a plant reaches for light, since there isn't enough provided, if you go the CFL route, put the CFLs an inch or so away from the top of the cotyledon (first set of leaves, before true leaves)
    ~ poke
    Also when you transplant make sure the soil you transplant into has much more perlite. More is always better than less.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I know what stretching is and how it happens etc, i just didnt know if this was it.

6. It absolutely is. :)
    ~ poke