Seedlings - fish tank light?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by themadmanc, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I'm going to be planting my seeds soon and I was wondering if, after it pops its little head, a fish tank fluorescent light will be appropriate to use until the veg stage?
    Im talking like a little fish tank, like a shoebox size. I have normal sized feet. hahaha.
    Thankssssss ;)

2. Wattage of light? Go buy yourself a few 5500k + lights there super cheap

3. Ive no idea about the wattage, its a friends old fish tank that he's going to be "lending" to me. Kinda wanted to avoid spending any more $$ if possible.

4. Not really, you would be better off with one or two 23w cfl bulbs. Cheap fish tank lights are gereally low power and inefficient. They do make nice ones, but that a different price range and class of tank.

5. What do you plan on vegging with

6. [quote name='"themadmanc"']I plan on vegging, & flowering, with this setup - Amazon.com: iPower GLSETX600DHMAC6 600-Watt Light Digital Dimmable System for Plants - Air Cooled Hood Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Am I able to use these lights for the seedling stage?[/quote]

Yea, it is overkill at first but as long as the temps aren't too high then it will work great. Just keep it backed away the first few days. I start mine at about 20" and lower the light as I see how the plants react. That one being dimmable will help as well.

7. Thanks joker, the advice is much appreciated. If I can pick your brain for one more bit that'd be much appreciated.
    I want to keep a mother separate from my grow room, and want to try and keep it on perm. veg state, so I need another light right? Whats the cheapest option you think I could get away with? Any lights that would fit the fish tank? haha... :) thanks in advance.