Seedlings, Ebb & Flow question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by aaronman, Mar 9, 2012.

1. :wave:

Just started a grow from some mystery seeds, supposedly good genetics. First time growing from seeds... Soaked the rockwool in 5.5ph water for 2 days while the seeds germinated in paper towel, then plopped five of them in to the cubes.

[​IMG]

It's been about 1 day and I can see them coming up. Rockwool still has plenty of moisture.

The cubes are in 2 tupperware containers with some monster cfl bulbs right over it.

pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My questions pour vous:

- Once the cotyledons pop up do they go into hydroton? Take off top dome?

- When do you start ebb & flow, and how frequently? I swear the lady at the store said 30 minutes on, 1.5 hours off... but that sounds like a lot from what I've read :eek: I imagine different ages have different cycles?

- How long do you wait before switching on your MH?

2. its always personal preference

I don't move plants till the third set of leaves are out so I can start nutes

I always leave the dome, burping the lid once a day for new air till the third set of leaves are out

i never flood for more than 15 minutes... I always like less flooding than others... three times a day evenly spaced, i've seen better growth this way... but one thing i recently learned is that the smaller the grow space for the plant the more often flooding should happen... so as long as their five gallon buckets i'd just flood three times a day when the lights are on.... but feel free to flood more times if you think its necessary

the MH comes on when you plant in the E&B.... once the third set of leaves are out

start a journal... this looks like a fun grow

3. I'd also take apart that humidifier and cut that light so it no longer works.... you don't need the extra light in the grow room, or even close to it

4. I also do 15 minute floods three times a day. And I agree, lose the dome and start the MH after 3rd set of true leaves appear. Plain water until the dome comes off, then 1/2 strength (or lighter) for the first week or two, then gradually build up to full strength. Watch for nute burn, of course.

5. 5 gallon buckets? :\

All I have are these ~6" pots that I was gonna fill with hydroton and set directly on the tray... is that enough space for the roots? :confused:

Ya I'm gonna start the journal soon, just want to make sure they survive this stage.

Thanks for the response. :smoking:

6. oh, hahahaha I didn't even see that you were using a tray...

same principal still applys though.... three times a day, evenly spaced

I have the 2x2 tray with three gallon air pots and R.O. Coco... I only flood once a day for 15 minutes... any more and I get major algae... but I noticed once the plants get too large the algae cant grow because the light no longer gets to the tray...

seriously, start a journal... PM me with its location, im subbed