seedlings / curling leaves / pics

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wxyz123, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Ok so... Ive got six sprouts (4x NL and 2x sharif- just cheap seed from boutique). They've been above ground for six days , but early on they developed this curling leaf business and I don't know what to make of it. The pics aren't that great, but it should be enough to at least have an idea what I mean. They're just rolling under. I've been all over the web and read ten thousand dfferent ideas on what might be causing it, but I'm obviously no expert, so I thought it might be beneficial to get some first hand opinions.

Info: Planted in peat pots and miracle grow soil (I know I know. I planted before doing a lot of research). Temp is constant within a degree of 72 F. Humidity between 40-50%. Six 27 watt 6500k cfls for light. PH seems to be low (not sure how low really, these aquarium strip things suck for soil). Haven't used any nutrients at all, other than what's in the freakin miracle grow. Watering with distilled water as needed. Fan for ventilation.

I thought it might have been due to overwatering, so I let the dirt dry comepletely out. I mean like dry dry dry all the way to the bottom of the pot, and in the interior of the soil. They just sat there doing what they're doing now. Couldn't stand it anymore and watered em last night, and they're still curled up like they were when I watered em 12 hours ago.

So, is it worth getting a real ph meter and some up/down and whatever else I might need to try to fix this, or would I be ahead in the long run to just get em out of the peat pots, throw that MG away, and transplant em into some real soil? Or am I overreacting and this will all work itself out?

Help me out here guys. My kids are sick and I really don't know what to do about it.

http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/wxyz123/?action=view&current=3.jpg
    http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/wxyz123/?action=view&current=2.jpg
    http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/wxyz123/?action=view&current=1.jpg

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. to strong of soil for such small plants transplant to a 32 ounce foam cup poke hold on the bottom use 3/4 top soil and 1/4 organic not to powerful soil. once the plant is a little more mature switch to a richer soil.

3. That's pretty much all the encouragement I needed. and by top soil ya mean just dirt with jack else in it right? No nutes, no peat moss or verminculite or any of that crap yeah? Just dirt?

I can get that from the local farm supply for fairly cheap. I just don't have the green to be buyin all that foxfarms stuff thats 20 bucks a bag or whatever.

4. yep correct plants dont need to much at this early stage just plain dirt mostly mixed with what ever else you can afford. should be good for a couple of weeks. Make sure to use clean water as well

5. That makes good sense. Thanks bud. I appreciate ya takin the time. I'll have em in their new homes in a few hours.

and just like that another home-grower swears off miracle grow forever.

6. the organic miracle grow without time released nutes isnt to bad used a little last year. I found this great stuff called C2 Mix its real soft soil with no rocks sticks or shit like that :)

7. Well, it's been over 24 hours since the transplant, now in styro cups and dirt (that's plain old just-the-way-god-made-it dirt) and they're all still alive. One of them is showing noticeable uncurling of those leaves, and all of them are showing some amount of new growth in their tiny little second set of leaves. I'm gonna give em a couple more days to see how they do before taking more pics. Seems wrong to take em now somehow. Like photographing someone in recovery a day after major surgery. Seems rude.

8. ok so, it's now been 72 hours since the transplant, and six days since they first sprouted. They've grown a little, and you can see another set of leaves starting to form, but some of them are still curled up. Here's a pic. Take a look. Any feedback is appreciated.

http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/wxyz123/?action=view&current=4.jpg

The middle front one has some discoloration that I assume is nute burn. There's still some curl in the leaves to them, and the two freebie sharifs (the ones on the left) seem to be curled the worst, but they do all seem to be continuing to grow. Cotyledons are turning brown/yellow but I've read that that's normal in the plant's development.

Not sure what else to do now but water em when they need it, and just kinda sit back and see what happens next. Assuming they live, and I hope that at least some of them will, I'll start em on light nutes in a week or so. But for the moment I'm content to just let em do whatever it is they're gonna do.

Feel free to comment, offer advice, call me a tard, whatever. I'm essentially flyin blind on this. Just tryin to muddle through with what I can look up online, and relying as much as possible on common sense. But I don't know what I'm doin. Basically just blundering along with high hopes and good intentions. :)

9. Mine are doing the same thing I used compost and soil from my veggy garden . I'm sure the soil is too rich I'll go buy some soil tonight and transplant let you all know if it fixes the issues.