Seedlings at 3 weeks

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Walton Simons, Feb 17, 2015.

1. #1 Walton Simons, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
    Do these look OK for around 23-24 days since breaking soil? They're about 3" tall, under a 250w MH in Promix poting mix, perlite, ewc and lime. Haven't used nutes as it will be organic but I top dressed with my final organic mix that's similar to InThe Garden's on this forum, after it cooked for a while. Temps are fine but humidity is sorta low at 22-28%.

I've been looking around on the web, either people's at 3 weeks are way bigger or clearly deficient, haven't really found "mid-sized" ones like mine. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. They are looking a bit droopy and small. How much lighting do they have? Do you have a circulation fan blowing on them?

3. They not a bad size but I think you have a watering problem, what is your schedule

4. #4 Walton Simons, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
    250w mh, almost a foot away, temps usually stay around 23C, I have 4" fans but I find they cool down the tent too much (very cold winter here, tent is in my bedroom in a basement), I have my vortex on lowest and I could probably actually refrigerate my tent on higher speeds, so instead I sometimes move them in front of the intake so air blows on them, but not all the time. I guess I could get this usb 4" fan I have going.

I water whenever soil feels dry to around 2", which was pretty often up to recently since I have such low humidity. Last watering was probably the heaviest one I did, more than 2 days ago now, since I read that it's better to water in bigger ammounts less often. Soil is still damp after more than 48 hours since that watering, but I've never watered to the point of getting runoff though.

Also I'm getting spots on the first leaves on both plants plus they're drooping and looking kinda yellowish, isn't that what mag deficiency usually is?

5. Here are some pics, doesn't really show in photo but you can still somewhat see it:

Attached Files:

6. Leave the pots to dry for a couple more days and see what happens I reckon overwatered wouldn't worry about the first set of leaves discolouration, new growth is green

7. #7 Root, Feb 18, 2015
    Im willing to bet your underwatering them (rare for a new grower). Judging by the dry soil in your pictures and the fact you said you haven't watered enough to get runoff.

My waterings I usually wait untill they are dry (a good tip is if the dirt has cracked away from the edge of the pot) then I hit them untill I get water coming out the bottom!

Promix I have lots of experience with, the one thing I have found is if you let the soil get too dry, then the water will run right through and out the bottom leaving huge dry pockets.

You might have to water dry promix a couple times for it to actually retain water. Ive heard people adding dish soap to make the water "heavier" so it penetrates the promix better but I have never tried it or probably wouldnt.

And dont worry about the height.. they will stop growing almost all together if something isnt right.

Goooodddd luck!

The top of my soil doesn't compact like normail soil, it's pretty much a loose mix of perlite, branches and bark-like clumps of stuff; I just put a layer of ewc on top of that right now, we'll see if it forms a more solid layer next watering. I was thinking I was underwatering too, thought I've heard about dry spots in pro mix before.

Well thanks for the answers hopefuly this stays confined to those leaves.

9. #9 Jayloud24, Feb 18, 2015
    You should check your ph. I would say don't water until your soil feels dry (give it a few days) then flush with clean ph'd water just to be safe and continue watching closely. It kinda looks like a plant i overwater but the difference is mine was more lighter

(Edit) I just looked the pics again and seen a post somewhere on here that may help you but I can't find it. It's regarding the browning of the middle of the leaf if I can find it I'll definitely add a link
    Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. looks like overwatering not under. under the leaves will droop at the stem and look lifeless where as over will have the ends curl down from too much water weight. 

11. Do your leaves ever perk up?  Do they droop more right after watering or after a couple days of no watering?  Are you dumping water onto the plant, or just the soil?

12. Never had them perk up much but I think it actually is overwatering, I transplanted them to bigger pots yesterday and most of the root ball felt wet even 4 days after watering. Though someone that grew this strain (Dinafem Blue Kush) told me his never perked up, but it looked much bigger than mine at the same age. I'll just hold on watering for a bit then I guess.

13. #13 DrGoldThumb, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    Here is my first grow with organics. My Strawberry Blue,Sour Diesel,and my Tangerine Dream
    They are 23 days old from seed

Attached Files:

14. #14 GoldGrower, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015

What's in your soil? They look heavily overdosed with nutrients.

Here is a 3 week old auto grown under a CFL. It's in hydro though so I'm able to give it the perfect amount of nutes, all the water it can use, and an adequate supply of oxygen to the roots, it makes things so much easier 

[​IMG]