Seedlings and Light

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AGGrower, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I have 6 seedings that just sprouted 3 days ago under 2 64w CFL's and a fluorescent. At this stage of grow dos it really mattter what like they get. I have a 400w MH light would the 400w promote faster growth than the CFL this early in the growth of the plants?

2. You run the risk of burning seedlings with a high power, high heat lamp. I use a T5 fluorescent to grow my plants to maturity. It's 4ft. long with one warm white (3000K) and one cool white (6500K) bulb. 54 watts per bulb at 92 lumens per watt does the job, though more would be better. Early on, the light must be 12 inches from the seedlings, getting progressively closer as the plants mature. I look for the warning signs. If I see even the slightest bit of burning at 8 inches height, I'll back off to 10 inches. However, my plants are mature now, so the light is about 4 inches away from the tops.

Standard shoplight fluoresecents have lower wattage and lumen count and can be placed closer to the plants (2-4) inches. CFLs are fairly weak. I don't know why people buy them other than that one or two are fairly cheap. But they add up quick! Find out your lumen count for the grow area and compare that with what you need.

3. High there :wave: the CFL's don't give off much heat so get them as close as you can. I'd leave them under the CFL's and flouro for a week or so and then put them under the MH to avoid as much stretching.

Good luck

4. hi,
    i planted 3 galaxy seeds in potting soil, and they sprouted last thursday, put them under a 18/6 light schedule and now, 10 days later, they are 3 inches tall, but have the spindle leaves still attached and have produced 2 leaves. should they be this tall with no leaves on a somewhat flimsy stalk?? or is this normal?

5. Sounds like they have stretched is all, get some more soil around the bottom of the stems if you can and make sure you have the lights close to the plants and a fan blowing on them :wave:

6. im in residence at school so im just using my desk lamp from a 60w bulb and a 35w uv light. could that be the probelm?
    i just mounded more dirt around the base...when will they get stalkier and sprout more leaves? i look at other 10 day old plants and they look a hell of a lot better than mine

7. You need more light, get some of those CFL energy saving light bulbs at least. If you are using incandescent (normal lights) they they are no good. What lights did the other seedlings have that you looked at? Also UV lights are only good in flowering I believe

8. I have my light about 3 inches from the tops of the plants. Since sprouting on thursday they have grown 2" and are sprouting their first set of leaves. I have them on 24/0 lighting is this OK

9. ok, i just swapped my desk lamp with a cfl.
    keepin the uv off. what shoudl they be looking like at this stage?

10. Sounds groovy :wave:

11. The best advice I can give is to check out the grow journals and see what other people are using. I started with just bagseed seedlings on my window and bought my setup as I went along. You will need more light for sure, even if you just add more CFL's.

My first grow took forever using poor lighting.

12. great! thanks alot for all the help!

13. I have a bubble bucket and am wondering when should I transfer my plant into the bucket. They are 1 1/2 weeks today .

14. i think you should have grown the seedling in the rockwool from start in the bucket.

15. #15 B-Nasty, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
    Im right behind you.

I've got two seedlings that are about an inch tall in 2 rockwool cubes. Ive never done this before and am winging it. I have them 18 inches from a 4 bulb T5 inside a pot with saran wrap over it to keep humidity in. I have the pot on an upsidedown milkcrate with a hot plate set to warm on the floor (about a foot under the bottom of the pot).

I've had the seedling in the complete dark since thursday when I first put the seed in rockwool. Hence the 18", Ill move it up slowly.

Here's some pics. I will also be moving to a bubble bucket so I can veg then clone.

What does everybody think? Am I doing everything right?

Oh also, one of the seedlings has its seed shell still on it, I tried to take it off this morning but its on there too tight and I dont want to risk killing the seedling. Advice? If I let it go, will it be strong enough to break it off?

Attached Files:

16. Im completely new to this so whatever I say take with a grain of salt. Ahwile back I tried from seeds and blew it. They got to about 3 inches and never grew again they just stayed in that state. Sooo, I dont know what to tell you. Are they in a humidity dome? Are they being warmed? Incandescent bulbs dont work so good thing you changed.

17. We need like a seedling expert to come in here. Ive also got a 400 MH and a 600 HPS, not sure when to add the 400MH.