Seedling with leaf issues

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lousygardener, Apr 23, 2010.

1. #1 lousygardener, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
    I've already posted the long saga of my little seedling here: http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-pla...usly-slow-growth-nirvana-northern-lights.html

But I'm coming across a new issue today. As of my last post, the second layer of serrated leaves have been growing considerably. However, the first set have become yellowed and burned around the edges.

I figured it might be due to some early burn trauma (see other link for details), but these new leaves are now becoming yellow around the edges with a burn on the edge of the leaves. Part of me thinks this might be hotspot heat burn as I originally lined the cabinet with aluminum foil (switched it out to flat white paint a couple of days ago), but wanted to make sure there wasn't a nutrient deficiency. If anyone will, please take a look at the picture below and let me know what you think. Note: that big dead yellow thing in the background is a cotyledon.

Attached Files:

2. #2 iarkey, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
    I'm A novice but as you say it could be burn, But IMO definitly not a nute deficcancy its just finnished using the nutes from the seed, it should take it 3 - 4 weeks to drain all the nutes from the soil, So unless your PH is wrong or you've given her additional nute i would say heat burn or lack of light
    :EDIT: not lack of light with lights that close.

Anyway apart from burn you've done the same as me, I didn't use hydrogen peroxide So maby that? Increasing the oxegen level too much may do something? Try laying off it for a bit and just let her grow with water.

3. Your soil is most likely super acidic, can you get a runoff ph reading? If it's below 6.5 then it may be too toxic for that young a seedling. Have you used that soil before?

Normally ph doesn't come into play right away (seeds have their own food), but a hot soil can combined with low ph can be too challenging for a baby, that's my suspicion here.

I'm afraid I don't have a good solution for you other than to start over, this might make it but it will take some time and probably lots of flushing. You might try to transplant but I have the feeling the additional stress will kill her. She is severely stressed right now for some reason.

Good luck man! I may be off here so try to get some other feedback before doing anything drastic.

4. i would say they are burnt from the soil. they are a little to small to be suffering from PH issues.

Flush the hell out of that soil. It will take a ridiculous amount of water given your large pot size. You're looking at about 10 gallons of water for each 3 gallon pot.

exactly how old is she? they are really tiny.

5. First - yeah, I'm almost positive this plant is never going to actually produce. The way I see it, this is my learning plant, and I'm spending time / resources on this so that the next time, I know what NOT to do :)

Iarkey - thanks! A good idea. I found out yesterday that hydrogen peroxide is actually acidic, so I'll hold off on putting any more in the soil.

AskEd - you're right on. Here's what i learned from this: test the runoff, NOT the water added. While the water I was adding was 6.5 - 6.8 ph, the runoff I tested this afternoon was 5.8... which leads me to think that even though I put the plant in new soil, the soil may be what's acidic; not the water. I actually need ph UP. I'm flushing the plant now and will get some ph up this weekend.

Grrower - I'm flushing now. I actually moved it from that 3 gallon pot to a 1 qt pot that my wife had lying around in the garage. Which is probably another reason for the stress...
    This is, amazingly enough, a two week old plant. This may be the world record for smallest plant ever produced by someone actively TRYING to follow the right steps :)

6. An update on the World's Smallest Plant!

As you can see from the picture below... it's still growing. Nearly a week later, the secondary leaves are about as long as the first set of leaves... and if you look closely, you can see the third node beginning to emerge.

That's the good news. The bad news is, the first set of serrated leaves are now browned and starting to crisp at the edges. The second set of leaves are light green and starting to go to brown toward the edges now too.

Anyone have any more ideas as to what might be causing this? Anything else I can do or try? I've flushed the soil like no one's business and brought the PH back up to 6.5, but... still, the plant's going through major chlorosis. The stem's also purple, for what that's worth.

As a postscript - I germed a new plant earlier this week and it came out of the soil yesterday morning. Already as big as the old plant! Whee!

Attached Files:

7. I was going to suggest that to ya, but you beat me to it. :D

8. Just a quick update on this guy!

I'd figured it was as good as dead, but decided that it wouldn't hurt things to try as best as I could to fix what I could. I cut off hydrogen peroxide completely, made sure my water PH was in the 6.9-7.0 range, and - thinking that I may have flushed it once too often - gave it some very, very weak nutrients. Also began letting it sit in the sunlight during the day instead of leaving it under CFLs. The third node slowly began to emerge, and one week later - take a look at what I came home to! Looks like I shouldn't count it out yet!

Attached Files:

9. Nice recovery, well done.

10. Hey there, glad you got another one going and have learned a few things in the process :) You are correct on checking the runoff, this is a good way to dial in your nute mix and it's good to keep an eye on.

If you leave that 1st plant in there long enough it will grow eventually, and as the plant gets bigger it will gain momentum and start to look good. It may never produce anything for you though, when they suffer a lot of stress early on they tend to hermie easily or just have low yields. But there's nothing wrong with a test seed or two, it's something I always suggest for new growers. If schwagg seeds are not an option then growing some tomatoes is a great way to get some experience and knowledge before cracking a preciou$ seed of good stock.

Good luck on your next run though man, I'm happy to help if I can :wave: