Seedling trouble

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by STICKYICKYYUM, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Having problems with my seedlings lately. Only thing I've changed is went to ff ocean forest soil from a local organic soil. Also I'm not starting in small pots or cups. Planting the germinated seeds straight into 3 gallon pots. I'm also using well water.

I think I know what's wrong but I would love others advice. I think it's overwatering and choking out the roots. I didn't mix any extra pearlite onto the FF and I'm watering the entire pot until water drips out the bottom. The soils not drying out and it's clumpy.

So I've since then I transplanted the seedling into a new 3gl pot with a 1 to 3 ratio of pearlite to soil.
    Watered just the center of the pot with about 4 oz of water.

image-3084265835.jpg

image-1286195116.jpg

2. I forgot to mention. The seedling before this one grew about the same size but was heavily variegated. Stopped growing completely then went all yellow.

This one started developing a yellow hue around the edges of the leaves. The last set is variegated and the tips of the larger leaves are dying.

3. First u should start by germinating ur seeds in a cup of water till they root then put then in a paper towel ( damped) for a day then they should have been planted in a solo cup or something that small then only watered fully once other then that just a little water every day like a very little till they get big enough to transplant

4. Also what's ur ph?

Lighting ?

Temp?

5. I've got two 300w LEDS with one 150w T5. The temps are generally 75-80. The water is well and I haven't checked the ph lately but it was testing pretty neutral.

I agree that I should go back to using solo cups until they are big enough to transplant. I already do germ in a cup of water then transfer to a wet paper towel until I've got a decent root. The reason I planted the seedling in a large pot is because I'm working with nirvana autos and I wanted to try to avoid stunting them. I think I'm going to go back to using distilled water until they are larger as well.

6. Ya bud as far as autos go I can't help ya out much sorry good luck

7. Update on my nirvana bubbalicious. Not good. Got 2 more going. One is up and looking good. The other has not popped up yet.

Attached Files:

8. Most recent pics. Looks like there is hope for one.

Attached Files:

9. you cant put a plant that young in soil like ocean forest

way too much nutrients for it

worm castings, peat moss, perlite or foxfarm light warrior(people use it for seedlings i prefer using the mix above but use what is available.

putting them straight into ocean forest will either kill it or stunt it seriously i learned this the hard way a while back as well

10. Wow! Hey thanks a lot!

I had wondered about the ocean forest soil. I see a lot people saying how they use it in their grows. Didn't realize it wasn't seedling safe tho. Damn!!!

11. What age is it safe to transplant into the FF soil?

12. My seedlings all do great in FFOF always have And have yet to have ruined anything for me will post pics of some current Babies later

13. Who knows genetics could b one thing too but in this case try to cut it with the light warrior u can mix it like 30/70 then add a lot of perlite. Then go with just the ocean forest and perlite once ur on ur 5th node

14. I don't think it's genetics but I guess it's possible. Up to where I switched to the FF everything was great. Also, keep in mind these are autos so nutes fed too early is not a good thing.