Seedling temperature exceeded - is it ok?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by anonybox, Jun 16, 2009.

1. I've been working on my first indoor grow using CFLs in rubbermaid boxes lined with mylar. I am waiting on some PC fans to use as ventilation, so for now I was just cracking the lid a bit for some fresh air to come in. Last night, my AC wasn't working for my place, and the growbox got up to almost 90 for a good 12 hours, and the dirt felt fairly warm. My seeds are on their 3rd day of being in dirt after a 24 hour soak, and none of them have yet sprouted.

Thanks,
    -Box

2. When you soaked your seeds, were there small roots coming out of them before you planted ? Also if you planted them over an inch deep it will take longer to surface. I dont think it got hot enough to kill the plants though, unless the soil was very dry when you planted it.

3. #3 anonybox, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
    Sorry for the late reply. All of my seeds had little white roots coming out of them, but only one seed sank (I heard debates about whether sinking meant live or dead, and the consensus seemed to be it doesn't exactly mean one or another. I covered them with about in inch, yeah, and I soaked the soil until it dripped water about 6 hours before I planted the seeds. You make me feel like I'm worrying over nothing, which is great...I saw a few "grow school / lets get a couple to start growing together and post results" posts over the net, and most of them seemed to have green sprouts a good 2" in the air within 3-4 days of planting...I put my seeds in the soil Thursday night, and it is Tuesday night now, so 5 days have passed without seeing a sprout. Furthermore, I have the seedlings planted in clear plastic party cups, and I cannot see roots on any side in any cup, but maybe I have slow starting seeds...

EDIT: I just now installed 3x 120mm PC fans, 2 of them intake (70 CFM) and one exhaust (130 CFM), so airflow should be pretty much perfectly constant now, and I already feel the difference. I realized that I was running on less bulbs due to heat reasons, and I was only hitting 100 watts, but I'm up to 150 now, mix of 2700 and 6500/.

4. You might want to start germing new seeds. 1" is a bit too deep. Try digging them up - gently. If the root stalk is brown or gone, they're toast. If they have actually raken root - white root filaments, replant them with the top just above the soil.
    You might want to try the wet paper towel method for germing. It has a high success rate. And keep the soil moist, not wet for the first few days of a new sprout.
    Good luck man.

5. #5 DaN Th3 WeeD, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
    When I had troubles germinating seeds , I used the damp paper towel method and I then kept it in a container under my bed on the underfloor heating. Warmth will germinate the seeds much faster.
    My plants surfaced within 2 days when I planted the seeds. But it is possible it will take longer . I once had a seed that took a week to germinate. Also when you germinate your seeds , let the root get about an inch long and then plant it.

6. I unearthed two to check them, and both had their white roots doing their thing, about an inch and a half long, though it hadn't branched out, so it looked like a giant tail. Moved seeds to 1/4" below surface, recovered, added 2.5ml of ph-adjusted water.

7. righton. that's a good omen. :hello: expect a 14' giant in 5 months :smoke: