Seedling problems as well

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JCGrowin, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Hello everyone.. Thank you for any advice in advance.
    I planted my seeds in 5.3 ph'd distilled water soaked rockwool cubes 3days ago. I put them in a starter tray with the lid closed in darkness. They have sprouted and are 3 inches long and thin. I just put them 5 inches under 2 32w cfls and put a fan on them. One is a fem WW seed and the other a fem Powerkush. The power kush has the root coming out of the bottom of the cube. Temps are about 75f humidity 35pcnt(outside of the starter tray). Ive read that I should not start nutes for 2 weeks. I do not want to lose my first new babies.
    nor
    I don't understand the stretch..nor the rapid growth in 3 days. I did, however smell a moldy type smell coming from the rock wool cubes...I did open the lid daily to let in fresh air...

Any advice on where to go from here...(sorry no camera)

2. hey, you dont even say what setup their going in just that their in rockwool, im not a hydro grower, but i know that the one with the roots comming out the bottom should b ready to go in your setup

if they stretched alot quickly then they were prob stretching for light, although those CFL's you got should b ok for the first week or two

3. I will be putting them in a bubble bucket 5 gal ..They will be vegged under one 65w 6500k and one 42w 2700k cfl and flowered under a 400w hps cooltube.

It seems to be one root.. Id be shocked if I had to commence vegging after 3 days..might be too early for nutes...:confused:
    I looked in on them they seem to be fine aside from the stretch...now that the fan is on them the temp is 82...I just don't wanna f**k em up

Thanks for the reply

4. fair enough if its just 1 lil root then id wait for more to pop out

ps they are already veg-ing if their above the soil (or rockwool in ur case lol)

5. I think my plan is to put the rockwool in a hydroton filled net pot as to gives room for the roots to grow and hang without being exposed to light. The hydroton will retain moisture for feeding. When the 1st small set of leaves grow larger or I see more roots develop..I will put them in my system with a quarter strength nute solution. I just read the stretching is from light deprivation and stagnant air flow..which would explain the smell. I just put them about 3 inches from the light and now have the fan on them. I should be good....

Guess paranoia strikes when your first babies come to life...thanks again

6. Looks as though I might be experiencing damping off. The root on the one seedling is getting small and weak looking. I read somewhere to put cinnamin sp? at the base of the stem and i spray a diluted mix of h202 and water on the hydroton. I think im losing one for sure but hope still remains for the other.
    Lesson learned: when germinating seeds in rock wool in a seedling tray .. make sure u have a fan blowing on them as soon as they pop out to prevent unnecessary moisture build up and put lights on them close( cfl's )

If anyone has any advice on damping off aside prevention... id appreciate it