Seedling Nitrogen Deficient?? Need Advice Plz!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HerbDeluxe420, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Ok, this is my first grow attempt and so far it seems to be failing. I know this is super long but please help me.

I'm growing one feminized NL x Skunk from G13 labs in soil.

I have her in Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil blended with about 40% perlite with the nute crystals removed from it. (I hate MG now btw)

So things started off rough, she wouldn't shed her seed casing 3 days after she sprouted so i got it off with a toothpick without damaging the little leaves.

Right now she has the second set of true leaves coming out but growth has slowed down and almost stopped. She's an inch from a 26w CFL that's 5000k with a reflector. My temps are constant in the upper 70's. According to my PH meter the soil is 6.7 and my water is at 7.

Its been almost two weeks since the seed casing came off and it hasn't grown much at all. The leaves are light green and now the bottom ones are yellowing and dying. From what I've seen this looks like a Nitrogen deficiency but idk how that's possible without PH lock since ism using soil that already has nutes in it. At least i think it does anyways.

MG bag says NPK is 0.10-0.05-0.05 percent each! that seems really low to me since they're percentages of a percentage!

I have done my best not to over water i think, fisrt one a week after i put her into the wet soil in the pot. My spraying of a soap solution on my soil to kill off my infestation of fungus gnats has made it soggy tho. Fucking gnats...

So please have a look at my apparently dying girl. Should I give her a diluted solution of my Earth juice grow that's NPK is 2.00-1.00-1.00? My bag o' soil says "this product contains 0.097% slowly available nitrogen." Again seems really low.
    Also my PH meter has a nutrient tester feature that showed my soil in the "too little" area, tho i don't know how reliable that is.

I think i have a nitrogen deficiency but i don't want to burn her. Is there something I'm missing or should I go ahead with the minor fertilizing at next watering? I use molasses water @ 1 tsp/gallon if that makes a difference.

And that dead spot is from putting her back under the light with water on the leaf (I think)

Sorry for the length but please asses/advise on my plant.

Thanks a shit-ton in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. More then likely its MG.. its toxic for cannabis it seems like. I personally have only heard one or two people say anything good about it. Is it possible for you to transplant into something without nutes in it already? Thats probably your best bet. If not then I would try a massive flushing.

3. Since "over watering" is the number one death amongst plants...Is it possible that either through over watering or packed soil and the roots aren't getting enough air?

4. I guess I just answered the question assuming he wasn't... Watering for cannabis should go like this.

1) Soak the hell out of the soil

2) Let dry thoroughly (finger check put it in all the way to your knuckle, if you can feel moisture then wait)

3) Repeat

Its as simple as that should shoot to only have to water about ever 2-3 days leaning more towards the third day. When you plants starts needing water ever 2 days or so...this is an indicator that replanting is needed :wave:

5. I was having trouble getting one of my seedlings to grow, it was only a couple inches from the light, it seems that when i moved it further away the seedling started to grow more.

Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue, but.....

6. Thanks for the replies. I waited till the top two inches were dry and loose before I watered. My main concern is that my plant doesn't have enough nitrogen to grow properly. So does my plant appear to have a nitrogen deficiency?

7. Are you saying you would follow this same regimen with a seedling? It seems harsh for little baby plant.

8. Seedlings generally don't need any nutrients for the first 2-3 weeks.

Reading over the OP, I think you are doing too much.

1- What soap solution did you spray on your soil to kill gnats? That soap might still be there...

2- I'm not sure how much it helps/hurts, but molasses isn't necessary at this point either.

3- If you have a soil pH tester (like me), don't trust it.

And lastly, I would suggest you underwater before you overwater. I've accidentally left my peat pods to dry out, but I've never had problems. Only more roots as the plant reaches around looking for water.

9. Yeah I would when I say soak I just mean adequately water...there is a debate one what that actually means. Some people say water till a little run off, some say 10% some say 30%. This is just so all of the soil in the pot gets wet (has something to do with dry pockets for fertilizer and root growth).

10. I use 1 tsp/16 0z of water of this stuff by Shaklee called Basic H. It really is magical. Its made from soybeans, has a ton of uses and works with the environment. Kills those gnat fuckers like 2 seconds after contact at that concentration too. Its 100% organic and non-toxic and is used for all kinds of agricultural purposes so i doubt that's messing my plant up.

Its my understanding molasses feeds the microbes in the soil. We'll see what happens i guess. Don't think it will hurt.

Believe I don't but i have nothing else to go by.

Thanks for the input. Will feeding my plant kill it tho?

11. It doesn't look like it is dying - it looks like a seedling. Don't feed it ... that will kit it. The first couple of weeks of watching a seedling do hardly anything are hell. Just make sure the grow environment is warm and humid enough and leave it alone. Water only when it needs it keeping in mind that there isn't much plant there to drink much water. After a couple of leaf sets the growth will take off. It just takes a couple of weeks for it to get started.

12. I'm currently waiting for my soil to dry out really well. After that I'm gonna go ahead with fertilizing at a low dose. I still think this is Nitrogen deficiency. I do appreciate the input tho.

If anyone has had an experience with Nitrogen deficiency please share your knowledge!

This is my plant, now at least three weeks old (don't have an exact age). I did end up over watering it, so I'm just waiting it out for now.

Attached Files:

• -.JPG
      -.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  13. you got a bit of nute burn there!

14. the cfl you have is red-flower. you need 2500 for veg.--blue. i also vote no ferts for 3 weeks.

15. Ummm... 2500 k is really on the red end of the spectrum and should be used for flowering, 5000k, which i have, is blue-end light.