Seedling lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by deckthehalls, Dec 12, 2006.

1. This is the first time I have the proper lighting to use from the very start of the grow through to finish. I have germinated some seedlings..should they be planted and put straight under the 200w vegging bulb or will this be too intense for them? I dont want to put them far away from the bulb incase they stretch too much, but dont want to put them right underneath for fear of over intensity. Help please!

2. I've always read that you are supposed to keep seeds in the dark until they poke through the surface of the growing medium, then you start the lights.

3. but when the seed is under the soil it is in the dark. The light just helps keep the medium at the right temp ;)

4. whats a 200 watt vegging bulb ??

go get a 60 cm double fluoro tube light....it will cost you no-more than 10 bucks ....they are usually 18 watts each tube ....no point blowing so much electricity for nothing ...seedlings dont need it !!

& you will be-able to grow your plants just a bit smaller then these Bubblelicious .....then they will have to go under an HPS or MH lamp

i had just put them under a 400 watt along with there mother BuB ....thats why the pic shows Hz lines ....& i leave my plants under fluoros + HPS until 2 week's into flower

peace John

Attached Files:

5. I'm assuming that when you say vegging bulb you mean MH. Wehn you plant the seeds into your soil, put plastic baggies over the pots till the seedlings sprout, and it will be fine to leave the light on 24/7 as well. This will help keep the proper temps and humidity. When they pop through the soil, just leave the light on 24/7. I'd probably start it around 10 inches away if it's a MH light. If you're using flouros you'll need them 1-2" away. Keep a thermometer right near the tops of the plant and adjust the light till you get the temps to stay right at 80 degrees. Then you'll just have to adjust the lights or raise/lower the plants according to there growth.....

6. Hi

The seeds are being germinated and have started waking up, so im about to plant them. The 200w vegging bulb is a flouro. It is currently sunning 3 other plants which are a month or so old, so no, I am not wasting electricity.

So you are saying they are ok going into soil pots and straight under the flouro at 1-2 inches away? This wont be too intense?

7. okay a 200 w compact fluoro you mean ...:cool:.....well it is a bit much for seedlings ...i have never used 1 since there is no need ....but i guess you can place it 5 cms or 2 inches away

8. Don't put your plant where you would not put your hand ............hold your hand under the light and feel how close is too close.......if they strech? Big fat hairy deal.....yer' learnin' man don't sweat it..... bury them deeper when ya' replant...
    CHECK THESE OUT.......these popped yesterday right where they are and will live there for 2 weeks.............next pick is what they will look like in 2 weeks.......the next pic is seedlings planted Nov.20-06....inside view same plant.......close-up of her .....yellow tips(nutes) and bein in a 2oz cup at almost a month old is part of the stress they go thru at my house.....only the strong survive.....here a "Darkstar Research Center" "IF IT CAN'T TAKE ...WE WON'T GROW IT"........if it needs cuddled to survive it goes in the chicken house floor...and is turned into Eggs & fried Chicken...lol

Attached Files:

9. I gotcha when it comes to heat, but when i said intensity i meant the actual light intensity. My last bagseed grow was done before i had the 200w flouros..so they sprouted under a 30w flouro which worked okay. I just swear i saw somewhere that the light could be too much for the lil ones and you should work your way up to full intensity..

Cheers for the feedback so far.