Seedling light??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bongmaster4207, Oct 16, 2016.

1. The filter sleeve you pointed out is a dust filter. This filters out some dust so it doesn't clog up the charcoal inside the can. Without the dust filter the carbon filter as a whole wouldn't last as long.

The filters are designed to be sucked through. This draws air through the larger outer surface area opposed to the much smaller surface of the inside. Plus, there is no dust filter inside.

If you don't mind the extra cost then getting a 6" fan and running it slow is a really good option. It will be quieter, and if you get a hot summer or want to add another light, the fan will be able to handle it. Bigger carbon filters cost more but will last longer so it should even out

• Like Like x 1
  2. are you following gold grower? u should. .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey man sorry I never replied to this... I've been reading some bad things about using these cheap speed controllers.. From what I understand, it wont really decrease power consumption, it just converts the energy to more heat. People also say they are fire hazards. I don't really know much about electricity.. But people are saying that if you want to be able to control speed to get a "transformer" type... Like this one

Also if I would get one of those, my filter would be way oversized compared to the fan while on a lower speed. I think I'm just going to get a 4" fan... I just really don't wanna make the wrong decision and regret it later....

Yeah man I am now

• Like Like x 1
  4. They dial down the voltage, they don't convert it in to heat. That would be an insane design and much more expensive to make.

I have been using mine for years. No fires yet

Lowering the speed won't make the filter less effective. In fact it's the opposite. Bigger fan need bigger filters to cope with the faster air flow. But a bigger filter will easily cope with the slower air flow from a smaller fan or slower spinning fan

A 4" fan will work, but a 6" will give you more options if you want to upgrade any of your kit in the future. Usually it's the cost that makes people buy a fan that will just about handle their heat output, but if you're happy to spend the extra, I'd go with the 6"

5. What I meant was they said the speed controller will get very hot. I'm not saying you're wrong though, you know much more than me. A lot of people say it might not be the "right way" but it still works..

See this is what I thought too until Howando told me this on that thread we were talking on the other day. Not sure if you remember, but I asked if it was okay to run say a 400cfm fan at half speed with a 400cfm filter. First he told me "If the fan is less powerful than the filter you will get longer life, but the fan might not be sufficient and you'll get leakage." than he also said "Although 200cfm is fine for your space, coupling to the 400cfm-rated filter may provide a lot of resistance. Better if they are evenly matched." This is why I thought an oversized filter wouldn't work well... I've tried searching all over the net and can't find anything about a large filter and small fan... I figured it would be less stress on my fan and filter by doing this. If you think the same, I will stick to my original plan and get the 6" Active Air fan with a 6 x 16 Phresh filter and use a speed controller. Both the fan and filter are rated for 400cfm. Sorry for being so hard headed man. Just want some killer plants without alerting anyone lol. Thanks for all the input!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I understood what you said and I can only comment about the controllers that I have, but mine adjusts the voltage and does not get hot, or even warm at all.

The bigger the filter, the less resistance because there are more airway paths through the filter. I don't really understand what he meant by getting leakage. Unless he meant that if the fan is too slow, you won't get a steady flow of air coming in through your intake vents and smelly air could leach out. But that wouldn't have anything to do with using a bigger fan slow compared to a smaller fan fast.

Howando knows his stuff though and I very rarely disagree with what he says. There may be a mix up about the leakage but I guess we simply disagree on the filter resistance

Don't feel you're being hard headed. "Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance"

7. Ok this might shed a little light on the matter. I just put a power meter on one of my dimmers with a 4" exhaust fan attached..
    The figures are in watts

First off, the dimmer is turned all the way down. The fan is off and 0 watts are being used.

[​IMG]

This is where the dial is turned up to the point where the fan has access to enough power to start turning. It took 13 watts. This is the speed I have it running 24/0 every day. It's in my drying cupboard and I always have trays of trim in there and it keeps the smell down.

[​IMG]

Then I turned the dial up to supply the fan with as much wattage as it wants. When this is done it uses 31 watts

[​IMG]

So as you can see, the dial doesn't use power, or transfer it in to heat. It simply lowers the volts

• Like Like x 2
  8. Awesome!!:) Thanks for clearing that up man. I will make a decision on what fan I woll get tonight hopefully... I need to get this damn show on the road. All I need to get is my filter/fan and soil and nutes.... Then I'm golden. I've had my seeds for like a week now and it's soooooo hard to not just plant them in some shit soil haha. I have no gardening stores near me so the only soil I have access to is Miracle Grow (department store soil). Will be taking a trip this weekend to get some Fox Farm soil or something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey buddy, how how's it going? I believe last time we spoke was on another thread and I told you my speed controller makes my fan hum. Well since then, I got another controller and it still hummed:/ I wound up just returning the 6" fan and just got a 4" and I'm going to run it full speed. I've got my room complete and ready to go! My beans are germinating now:) I did the damp paper towel method, hopefully not a noob mistake.. Anyways, I just want to confirm that you start your babies under your Mars 300 at approximately 24 inches from the surface of the soil. Is that correct? Should I put my lights 24 inches away as soon as the seed sprouts from the dirt? Thanks man!

10. That's strange about the hum, have you heard about anyone else having it?

Yeah I use my MarsHydro300 150w LED at 2' from the surface of the soil when germinating. I have the lights one while germinating so the light is available to the plants as soon as they break the surface of the soil, and it keeps the seed warm to aid germination

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah I've heard a few complain about the hum :/ Oh well, no biggie. My 4" is plenty big enough for now and it's not as loud as I was expecting!:) Plus it and the filter were much cheaper.

And ahh that's a good idea.. I'll do it that way next time. At what point do you lower your lights to your plants? I get mixed answers from the web. You seem to have a lot of experience so I figured I'd pick your brain :p

12. I keep my MarsHydro300 at 2' until I run out of height. That's my preferred distance, I will have it closer if I'm forced to but I get some leaf damage when closer. Nothing serious though. I have had it within a few inches in the past. I'm not 100% what causes the leaf damage but it always seems to be in the same spots so I think the light is focused in a few places. I might test that out with my LUX meter later on. I've never thought to before

13. Awesome, I'll keep mine at 2' also. I think I already fucked up though.. The tap root came through the seed yesterday so I planted them and gave them a little water. What I did not do beforehand is water the soil evenly to get it all nice a moist... I mean the soil isn't bone dry, but it's not really moist... Should I gently remove the seedling and water the soil and let it dry a little bit and then put the seedling back in? Or do you know of another way I should do this? I really just wasn't thinking.. I wasn't exactly sober either.. lol

14. Try watering slowly around the parameter of the pot, it should soak through to the middle where the seed is without completely saturating it

15. Well I wound up gently removing the seeds and the dirt surrounding them and I put my soil into a large bucket and sprayed it all with water. Not too wet, but moist. Then I gently put the seeds back. Hopefully I didn't hurt the babies... If so, I guess I learned my lesson lol. Thanks for the idea though man.

• Like Like x 1