Seedling Leaves Drooping

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Estagrow, Jun 11, 2019.

1. I’m growing in a 2x4 grow tent with 600 watt LED light.

I originally had my lights at about 23 inches above my seedlings and they were looking happy, but they seemed to be stretching a bit so I brought the light closer to them at about 13 inches above the plants.

The next day I noticed the leaves dropping a bit. I’m using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil so I’m not feeding nutrients yet. Just watering as of now.

I’ll post some pics of how they look, and also on one of the photos I noticed some small spots on a lead. Just one leaf so far. What could that be? Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Attached Files:

2. They don't look that bad at all. Did you change your watering practices at any time up until they started to droop or show any signs of deficiencies? If all you did was lower the lights ( and nothing else) and saw the drooping leaves the next day, then obviously you may have lowered them a bit too much at one time. A 10" difference is a lot, especially when dealing with LED lights. It's always a good idea to lower (or raise) them an inch or two at a time then monitor the leave's reaction throughout the day and adjust them accordingly. The very slight spot next to one of the leaf tips looks too small/early to tell what it could be. Perhaps the very beginning stages of nute burn, but again, too soon to tell, especially when it's just the tip of that one leaf. I'd wait it out and keep an eye on that. Post back if it gets worse. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Watch watering, they have great color and good stature. FoxFarm OF should take you into mid veg without having to add nutes. Auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. Man I appreciate the feedback! I raised the light up about 5 inches to see how that does. I have been watering a bit more with less water. I initially did one watering in the morning and one at night. Then I noticed them getting dry a bit quicker so I water a little bit at a time, more often. Other than that and the lights, that was the only change I did. I'll keep an eye on it to see how they like the change and will keep you posted if something seems to keep not going right.

• Like Like x 1
  5. No, they are not auto. I raised the lights a bit to see how they do the next 24 hours.

• Creative Creative x 1

6. Hello again, so they are still looking good (in my opinion) but I had a question on the bottom 2 leaves if you have experienced something similar. So I’m attaching pics of what I’m talking about. All looks like a good green color and they are holding up strong but the bottom two leaves are yellow and crumbling up? Any ideas?

Also some leaves are twisting a little. Initially when I moved the light closer to them they started twisting. (I moved lights closer because a local grower advised I do so because they looked stretchy or leggy). I moved them up a bit since then and seems to be fine but still a little twist to some leaves.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

- EstaGrow

7. Sorry for late reply. Anyway, if you notice the top-most leaves you'll see what's called "speed bumps" or "puffy" looking leaves. That's a clear sign of over-watering. Once that happens and continues that way untreated, eventually the roots drown and shut down, not letting the plant intake the necessary nutes to survive and that's when the deficiencies start to kick in. This may be what's happening now. She may have been hungry just before the over-watering, but since it started, the plant is starting to show deficiencies now. Either you watered her too much at one time or you're watering her too often.

8. #8 Estagrow, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

So here is the latest and greatest. So the super droopy one has always grown a little slower than the one that looks not as bad.

Temp in my grow tent is 73 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity is around 52%. LED light is about 15 inches above them and I have a fan ventilating on the first speed.

One of them has always looked to be doing ok, the other is now super droopy. I have not been watering as often and hit them a little bit when the soil is bone dry. Any thoughts? Could the bad one be suffering from root rot and is going down? The leaves on both are not dry or anything, they feel fine

Attached Files:

9. As I mentioned before, they looked over-watered. The damage was done and it seems to be progressing. You should have waited longer for the soil to almost dry completely (not just the top soil) before starting to water again. Now I believe the damage has gotten to the roots and they may have shut down and aren't taking in any nutes. Having a 600W LED 15" above her ain't helping either.

10. I waited until the soil was bone dry about an inch down into the soil. I lifted lights a good bit now and will just have to keep an eye. At least try and keep that first one as healthy as possible

11. That's not exactly what I meant by waiting for the soil to dry. It may feel dry an inch down, but what about the rest of the soil much deeper than that where the roots are actually located? That part's still either wet or moist. Continuing to add water isn't going to help. It'll just make things worse.

12. Ooooooh I see. I’ve seen on tons of YouTube videos of that being a “rule of thumb”. I’ll keep that in mind though and hold off more on watering for that one. I appreciate you looking out man.

13. I agree with that rule of thumb when things are going well. However, when the plant's already been over-watered, that rule of thumb needs to change at least until the over-watering issue has been taken care of. Another good way of telling when to water is the "lift the pot" method. You first water properly by adding water until you see at least 20% extra runoff water drain out the bottom of your pot. Lift the pot and feel the weight. Then later when you think she needs watering, lift the pot again and compare the weight from when you last watered. If the pot feels "light" you can then carefully water her. But if it feels somewhat the same or like it still has a good amount of water in it, wait a bit longer. It's always easier for a plant to recover from under-watering than over-watering. In under-watering, you just add water and she'll recover quickly. In over-watering, you risk drowning the roots. Once that happens, deficiencies will start to kick in, plant's growth is stalled, etc.