Seedling Issues...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by FairXChange, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Hey there GC community! First time grower/poster here, long time lurker. Thanks first and foremost to all of you, who provide great information in an easy to understand way to the n00bs like me. :)

I've encountered a bit of a speed bump in my first grow, but as I know you'll want them allow me to give you the specs of my grow room. Closet space, 55% humidity 72-74 average temperature. I'm working with 5 seedlings, 3 are sprouted and 2 are still working the taproot down into the soil (FoxFarm OF). I'm using a 2-tube shoplight with 6500K daylight replicating tubes, 2 27W 5500K CFL's and 2 13W 2700K CFL's.

Initially I planted the first 3 which are now sprouted in a bad medium (Sunshine Organics (I think it's sphagnum or peat moss not sure)) and then transfered them to the FFOF soil. Since then, they have shown great improvement in both growth and leaf development. Except for the Cotyledons, the first 2 leaves, which at a very young age are now yellowing and looking like they want to die off. Is this normal?

Wish I had pics for you but my camera is on the fritz. They are no more than 2 weeks old from germination and about 1.5 inches tall. HALP!!1! :)

FCX

2. those 1st set of leaves usually fall off, sometimes they will, & sometimes they dont. its normal

3. With that in mind, is it often better to allow nature to take it's course or remove those dying leaves at an early stage to promote new, healthy growth?

4. Either way. Be careful with that soil. FFOF can sometimes burn seedlings.