Seedling Help Please

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tropical420, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I had an order of 6 seeds from attitude and only one of them germinated. That was the Cheese seed with a pink layor around the seed. The rest of my seeds were very small and almost black looking.

I wish I could take a picture of this seedling, but my friend has the chip that goes into my digital camera. I'll try to give the best description I can.

The Cheese germinated about 6 days ago and was put into a square pot filled with FFOF/Light Warrior/Perlite/Worm Castings. It came above the surface about 2-3 days ago. It is really tiny and its kind of bent over half way up the stem. Yesterday, I couldn't see any of the Cotelyan leaves. Today 1 is showing, but because of the bend it is pointed straight up vertically. The other cotelyan seems to be almost stuck to the stem itself, still inside a piece of the outer shell of the seed.

I just want to know if you guys think this thing will live. It does look green, its just very small and bent over like I described. Just between the cotelyans you can see two very, very small leaves developing. Its been about 6 days since putting the seed into the soil and usually at this point I will have seedlings that look nice and are standing straight up.

Do you guys think this seedling has a chance to make it?? I don't dare try to mess with the seedling and get the piece of seedling shell off of it. The tiny thing just looks like its facing completely sideways. Is there anything I can do to help this thing come along? Would adding a tiny bit of Super Thrive to the spray bottle help it at all? I'd like your opinions on whether this thing will make it or not and if there is anything I can do to help it survive. Thanks. I really hope I can get this seedling going.

2. Id stay away from spraying it with anything. You mixed extra worm castings into your soil mix???? Very carfeully pull the casing off but if the plant is week you can damage it even farther you have to make the call. I wouldnt mix any extra Worm castings into that mix I use equal parts of FFOF/LW/Planting and chunky perlite. I dont add nutes until 2nd week of flower.

3. I think it will be OK. Once it grows bigger it should shed the seed husk on its own if you don't feel comfortable trying to remove it. If it looks green and you can see new leaves coming I think all you have to do is wait a little longer.

I don't think I would give it any fertilizer just yet, since it is not even a week old.

4. The seedling is so small, I really don't want to mess with it. Its just weird because the thing is facing completely sideways. I hear you on the worm castings. I've got some bagseeds that just germinated yesterday and I only used a FFOF/Light Warrior mix with those. I did just take another look at it and on the cotelyan that is sticking straight up in the air, the bottom 2/3rds of it is green and the 1/3 on the edge is yellow. I don't know if that's bad news or not. The extremely tiny leaves in between the cotelyans are green though. I just hope this thing will start growing some (it is really tiny) and begin growing vertically instead of horizontally.

5. be careful of it "damping off" . the soil just around the newly formed roots and new stem may be to damp to support the little sucker. may not feel or look to damp but for the seedling it may be. just be cautious. check it out.