seedling advice please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DeanTheBean, Dec 8, 2013.

1. #1 DeanTheBean, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    hi folks, germinating for the second time now, but i have 2 of my 6 seedlings behaving a little strangly.

These two were the last to poke their heads out of the "soil" and they dont seem to have moved in about 3 days. i germinated in paper towel, and they all cracked in 36 hours, i planted them at around 40+ hours and saw the first 3 pop up by the end of day 3, we are now at day 7 and like i said these two havent moved sins they popped up day 4.

i'm using a 400watt MH, i know some say thats too strong, but from what i have read aslong as the temps are 70-80 its ok!? which it is!

i soaked the peat pellets and drained them for 4hours, i didnt water again untill 2 days later when at least 2 of the 6 were shooting up.

lights started about 3ft away but moved to 2ft by day 4

anyway heres a pic, let me know if u have seen this before. thanks a lot

[​IMG]

2. The best advice anyone can give you is to simply be patient and LITFA.

J

3. They look alright to me. Some seeds sprout better than others. Some strains are different than others and if a seed is more mature than the other it will grow and sprout faster. I had four seeds from the same cross and two appeared to be a little under developed but i planted them anyway. In the end they all turned out to be great plants although the two under developed seeds took two wks longer to sprout

4. Don't try to fix what isn't broken. This stage will usually take a while. They are building their root mass right now. Some won't grow above ground as much as they are below for a few days or even weeks. Some strains take forever to establish. For example, I have a few F1 white widow's that have been thriving since the day they broke soil, while my purple haze and Purple dream are taking their sweet ass time. Patience is a virtue. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. More light, just kidding. Put them under a cfl, that's to much light for seedlings.

6. #6 tylerm428, Dec 8, 2013
    They do look strange.  Already well into growing their 1st real set of leaves, but still not fully upright.

The only thing I can think of is that they are still bent that way because that is the direction of the light?   Seedlings really bend towards light so if the light is at an angle, your plant will grow at an angle.

I wouldn't do anything drastic other than maybe re-position with respect to the light.

Also, no problem with 400W MH for seedlings so long as you keep the light a couple of feet away from the plants.  Think about what happens in nature - seedlings get the full force of sunlight (much stronger light than 400W MH) right from the minute they pop up.

7. Root system has to develop first.  My plants usually grow very slow for the first couple weeks, then explode.  At about 5 weeks, they are nearly uncontrollable.

8. #8 CoLoKiD, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
    . yup, mine take off about week 5 and by week 7 they are at least a foot with 1/4 " stalk.

And 400w MH is not necessarily too much, just no where near as user friendly. I veg all the way to flower with a t5. Less to operate. Use your 400 watt for 2 weeks prior to flower so they adapt to higher wattage better.

9. You guys saying 400W MH is too much for seedlings... how do you know this?  Have you actually tried it?     Lots of people running 400W MH lights in their veg tents (including myself) with absolutely no issues.  Keep temps in check and keep the light a couple feet from the plants and it works great.

Seriously... have any of you actually tried it?

10. #10 CoLoKiD, Dec 8, 2013
    Yes I have tried it, and I sold my MH and went and bought a t5 8 bulb x 2'. No heat issues, multiple bulbs so I don't have to rely on one, less money to operate with better results. It's not that it's too much, it's just NO WHERE near as user friendly with less options and less results. I can tilt mine if I have two different size plants. I can stand on end for a couple days to get the sides of plants........ Just saying why "I"think t5 is better.

But everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

Here are my sour diesel seedlings under t5.
    Week 1
    [​IMG]
    Week 5
    [​IMG]
    Week 7
    [​IMG]

11. T5 or CFL does work great for seedlings and veg - don't get me wrong.     It's just that I find MH also works very well.

12. There is only one thing that will help that helps me every time I run into thing like that.
    Run to the hydroponic store. Buy the bottle of nute called "LIFTA". Feed as directed. The moment you start is the same moment they will continue growing.

Good Luck

13. leave it the fuck alone. ye funny, not really helpfull trollface. thanks though.

14. Dean, I don't think Aloe meant any disrespect with the LITFA comment - it's a pretty standard comment when telling folks to just be patient, and, well, leave it the fuck alone... Lol - don't take it personal by any means. Patience is a virtue in this hobby of ours.

"You guys saying 400 is too much for seedlings" -

I (personally) think a 400 is an excellent light for seedlings - provided you have a handle on temperatures. It's always hot temps that'll fry a seedling; not the amount of light given it. Keep your light a good 18" above the plant and use the "hand test" - put your hand right at the top of your plant under the light and if your hand gets hot at all then raise the light - etc. a fan'll help too. As soon as my clones are rooted, right under my 400 they go.

Overkill? *maybe*. Will it work well? You betcha. Just monitor the heat.

And LITFA. LOL

;)

J

15. I really dont know about your twisted seeling issues but they may straighten out all you really can do is just give them time and keep the conditions in order :)

But dont know why anyone would say a 400w mh is to strong for seedlings as i have currently 17 auto blueberry's that only sprouted in the last day under a 600w dual spectrum mh hps which is currently 2.5' away and they are doing great. The key is just to keep your temps in order which is really not hard with the price of fans now on ebay lol. 

16. with regards environment i have an ecotechnics fan speed controller, and max/min hydro themometer over the past week its been max 26 and min 21 with target 24 i'd say i'm happy with it. thanks for feedback folks its a hard thing to remember to do litfa!

anyway if u wanna have a quick look at my last grow if u didnt already, it was rather fun. and i'm totaly looking forward to round two!

one love x

17. #17 DeanTheBean, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    so how long would you say it takes for a seed to reach the really productive veg stage? lets say 8inch tall or at least 4 phazes of true leaves? looking at my old photos it looks like about a month but i was wondering what you all think.

when planning when to start how long do you like to estimate yourself before flowering?

>>yes that is TWO questions!!I

Nohesitation64 - i see from your photos it looks like 5 weeks

18. soil grows are not as fast as hydro but are good for controlling plant height.  as for your seedlings make sure they do not dry out which is the main issue using a powerful 400w light

19. Bin them 2 and concentrate on the 4 you got pal, 4 out of 6 aint bad!Sent from my GT-I8190N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Im new to growing but studded for over a year before I planted my first seed and ur temps are to low in my opinion I keep mine between 25c and 30c lights on 17c to 20c lights off humidity 30% to 50% in flower 21c seems abit low for me mateSent from my GT-I8190N using Grasscity Forum mobile app