Seed watering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gregmagnu, Oct 1, 2012.

1. I have 3 auto mazars seeds in 5 gallon pots. I planted them 5 days ago plus 26 hours of being in a water cup, they've been under a t5 and still haven't sprouted. When i put my finger in the soil the first inch is really dry but then it get moister at a little less then 2 inches or so, should i give them some water. And is it unusual that the seeds haven't sprouted yet?

2. Keep the soil around the seed moist. Use a spoon and a cup of water to moisten the soil around the seed. You want to keep the soil around the seed moist until it sprouts, but you don't want to soak the whole 3 gallon pot with water. Yes, it is unusual that they haven't sprouted yet, but they will probably come up in the next few days and be just fine. hth

3. I got a squirt bottle so i sprayed around the middle. My fans been on for most of the time and its 77 with the fan, i removed the fan and now its 84, maybe that why it was taking longer? And thanks for the info

4. #4 GrowBot, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
    hey, get them out of those huge pots, and start them in something much smaller. it's too much hassle starting in pots (5 gallon) with seeds. you want the medium to dry up between feeds and watering. with seedlings, your soil will never dry up. allowing it to dry, lets air into the root-zone, which is very important for root development and plant growth....
    and no light is necessary until the seeds sprout and are above ground. it sometimes takes a while for seeds to sprout. it's starting to get cold. are your containers in a warm area?

5. ^word. Except I do leave the light on above all my seeds (ganja, tomatoes, peppers, veggies, melons, flowers, etc. except certain seeds like pansies and strawberries that germinate better in the dark). I have noticed better and faster germination rates with leaving the light on vs off. In nature, seeds grow up towards the sun, so I think it helps to leave the light on. Everything else growbot says, I agree with 100%.