Seed Starter Growing Mediums?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Prplendo, Jan 16, 2012.

1. What are the pros and cons of using a seed starter grow mix? I will soon be preparing for my first grow op and I was thinking of using a grow mix to start off my seedlings. There is a grow mix by FoxFarm called "Light Warrior" with mycorrhizae and humic acid. Also they say it's great for transplanting. I'm basically going to plant my seedlings in plastic cups, then transfer them to 3 Gal. pots. Any feedback?

2. I haven't used the FF kind, but the soil I have right now is specifically made for seedlings and cuttings, and it's working great! I think the seedling mediums are usually a looser material that makes it easy for growing roots to dig into. I've heard nothing but good things about Fox Farm, but I'd say go for it.

Just make sure that if you do use a looser medium for seedlings, that the soil is dry when you transplant. If it's damp it'll just fall apart and your plant will be in trouble.

3. Thanks for the feed back. As far as the mycorrhizae and the humic acid does that help your seedlings grow better?

4. I just recently started using a seedling starter and I like it. I used it for both seeds and clones, I will say that the clones rooted faster using the seedling soil vs reg soil.

5. Mycorrhiza is helpful to plants roots in general, but imo pretty much anything is fine for seed starting. I just use the same coco that I use for the whole grow.

6. Coco? Whats Coco?

7. Coco coir. It's a growing medium made from coconut husks.