Seed Shell on Seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rhlee222, Jan 13, 2018.

1. #1 rhlee222, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Hi Everyone,
    First timer here. I have just sprouted 6 AK47 XTRM seeds in Jiffy Mix soil. my problem is that the seed shells are still on the seedlings. How can I get them off without damaging my babies?
    BTW, this forum is awesome.

2. Spray it with water to soften it and gently remove it with a toothpick.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mick beat me too it. I have had atleast 5 surgeries under my belt in rare situations it dont or the first 2 leaves stay stuck together but in either case, you have to have a steady hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. This just happened to me. I wet the shell and waited a few minutes for it to soften. I then used 2 toothpicks to gently pry the seed open as I'm pulling it over the leaf and off.

5. Ya. Spray 6.0 ph ro water in a small spray bottle. Up'n the humidity with a small frosted plastic cup with holes so she can breathe helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum[​IMG]

6. slightly pull the shell to the side of your babies till it comes off. do not pull straight up or you could mess up your seedlings.

7. Hes right. Never up. I use tweezers and being completely aware the whole time of catastrophe. I lay off and spray if the helmet is giving me hell.

8. I dont mean spray the head. More like spray the cup that goes over and maybe one drop on her helmet head. The main goal being greatly increasing the moisture so the shell slides off

9. thCW3T3C7M.jpg
    I was never told that playing this game would someday help me grow my plants. You need a steady hand for situations such as this. lol

Attached Files:

10. I let them grow off. and they do.

11. Lol you are correct. It is alot like this game. Very steady hand. Most importantly being able to recognize if the seed situation asks for it or not and that can change by the hour also based on the moisture level. I have literally done it enough times and changed direction on my attempt even within the same plant itself. At all costs if the situation looks to Hairy and that Head is on it to good don't do it. Reassess spray cover increased moisture and repeat. But definitely don't pull up i use very find of tweezers in good light.

12. Thanks for all the info everyone. They came off easy. User tweezers ans a little metal pic. The new leaves on 2 of them stayed stuck together but with a little effort and care removes a small amount of film and they are looking good now. I will be posting some pics and asking some questions on a new thread.

13. Awesome. Ya i had to cut em many times. Luckily I have a exacto. Dont think i could do it without em.
    [​IMG]