Seed sank immediately good or bad?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Smokexbreak, Jan 20, 2019.

1. If it doesn’t work I’ll do it next time and throw them into rock wool Instead. I’ve had such good success with the rapid rooters though it’s hard to imagine any other way. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. My new seed starting experiment mix is 20/40 coal slag. Tractor supply Black Diamond Blasting sand size 20/40. You gotta be me to appreciate it. Coal slag is to seed mix what perlite is to soil. You could also use swimming pool filter sand if you want to stay white. Not too much, it is very heavy. Use tablespoons not cups.

3. Seedling update

Hour 13 and both seeds have cracked open.

One has a tiny tap root. I’m going to give them another 6-8 hours and transplant to rapid rooters.

[​IMG]

4. One old wives tale that I suppose works, as a matter of fact I'm using it on a seed that is germinating now, and that is a little kelp soak. 24 hours max, it gets funky fast. I spray the medium with it after sowing the dry seed. Based on a total of one side by side. We don't need no stinkin control around here.

5. Holy hell I’ve never heard anything like this!

6. What's your reasoning for waiting to place the seeds in the rapid rooter? Doesn't the risk of injuring the root increase the more it sticks out of the shell?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. That’s really interesting dude!!

Hempy question lol.

So I’m calculating my PH swing currently on a control tub. I ph’d my water to 6.0 and I’m measuring my ph every 12 hours. My question is how long should I measure for? 24hours 48 hours?

In 12 hours it swung from 6.0-6.6. Tonight at midnight I’ll take my PH again to see if it’s raised any further.

8. lol I guess I don’t have much reasoning. I’m about to go ahead and transfer.

Oh btw my plants hit my res in my hempy. I’m figuring out my PH swing over the next 24-48 hours so I can get that ironed out.

This morning
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yesterday afternoon
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Out of curiosity what kinda water, did u do anything differently then other times? I had a buddy give me a ton of random reg seeds. Messing with them in cups of water I’ve had them sink right away, me poke them down, and them float for more then 3 days... the ones that floated for days had a bunch of tiny bubbles on it, I’m guessing holding it up. Agree with above comment about seed someone have moisture in it already

10. Nothing different whatsoever. I set my water in my seedling tray and then put it on the heat mat let the water warm up and drop the seeds right in. Plain generic distilled water.

Funny thing is this AM when I looked they were both floating tapped the seeds and they sunk. I’m about to move them to rapid rooters.

11. The reason I never check my runoff or reservoir is because everything going in is 6.0. If the old is too low the new is 6.0. If the old is too high the new is 6.0. I do monitor ppm coming out and adjust accordingly.

12. How often do you replenish your reservoir?

13. I feed one day, then flush with calmag the next day, so every 24 hours. So, after I flush they sit dry until I feed. In one gallon bags it's a tightrope walk with def on one side and burn on the other. I like to keep things moving.

14. Shit well I may follow suit and do the same we will see.

15. I’m feeding them all dailiy with my Masterblend mix I used on coco getting them ready for the drip lines, a week from Wednesday already. Only a few are barely even drinking from the res yet

16. Word I think this sounds a lot easier lol.
    May be easier to feed daily to prevent too much of a PH swing or maybe I’ll just make sure my reservoir stable and just use it. Haven’t decided yet still trying to get my PH swing under control. From midnight to an hour ago it went from 6.0-6.7 I’m taking my PH tonight at midnight that’ll be 24hours that way I can water every 24 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have the best success putting them in a paper towel. I fold it several times, then put them in the last fold and wet it. Then I put the folded towel in a plastic bag and stand it on edge with the seeds at top and keep it on edge in the dark for a couple of days. The sprout will grow straight dawn giving you a nice straight root to put Into a hole in your soil. I just did 12 seeds and all 12 are going good.

For deep water culture I've started them directly in bydroton with a high success rate.